Is online certificate accepted in Germany?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

yoshi

Is online certificate accepted in Germany?

Unread post by yoshi »

Hello all, I am an American with a M.S. in Finance and NO teaching experience. I would like to teach English. However, there aren't any schools near where I live that provide live classes. Online is my only option. So, before I waste my money does anyone out there know if it is difficult to find work with a online certificate?

Thank you so much!
yoshi

Re: Is online certificate accepted in Germany?

Unread post by yoshi »

I should add this is an online certificate for the TEFL 100 or 120 hours.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

It depends where. We have lots of graduates finding work so yes, you can find work with online certificates. They are generally entry-level or first jobs but by no means always so.
yoshi

Unread post by yoshi »

I will take any job I can get just so I can get experience. You have to start somewhere, right? I am actually looking into ICal's program 100 hours and TEFLonline's Master program 120 hours.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

If you are an American, you might not find it particularly easy to get a Work Permit for Europe.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
yoshi

Unread post by yoshi »

Work permit is not a problem. Since I have a master's degree I have already been approved. Once I get a job offer the company just has to fill out a form from the government stating my job duties, pay, and how many hours I work and that's it. They tell me it takes 2 weeks for approval. Plus, I am already living here which helps!
Lucas
Rising Star

Unread post by Lucas »

Yup, it's not so hard for Americans and Canadians to get a work permit in Germany. Here's a useful link for people interested in teaching in Germany with information about teaching there and how the process to get the work permit works. http://www.transitionsabroad.com/public ... many.shtml
Ontesol - Online TESOL/TEFL courses. http://www.ontesol.com
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Lucas wrote:Yup, it's not so hard for Americans and Canadians to get a work permit in Germany. Here's a useful link for people interested in teaching in Germany with information about teaching there and how the process to get the work permit works. http://www.transitionsabroad.com/public ... many.shtml
Having lived and worked in Germany for nearly 18 years, I would take the ten-year old text at that link with a very large pinch of salt. Of course, I may be wrong, too. ;)
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
yoshi

Unread post by yoshi »

Don't worry! I know Germany is not "starved" for teachers!