Questions Regarding Working Abroad Teaching English at 18.

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

BritishFiasco

Questions Regarding Working Abroad Teaching English at 18.

Unread post by BritishFiasco »

Hello, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kyle, I'm 18 and hail from the United Kingdom. I'm currently in my third year of college doing a diploma construction and I'm really not enjoying it and as such would like to pack it in; go aboard, live in the sun, & earn a modest wage. Perhaps above all though, I want to enjoy what I do and feel teaching English would be the best thing for me.

I understand however, its not going to be that easy. Which brings me here! Well with that out of the way, I'd like to crack on with the questions I'd appreciate being answered.

#1. I understand that I'll need at least a TEFL Certificate if not a degree to teach English as a language abroad, now I only just have a C in GCSE English (primarily due to pratting around and not knuckling down in school days, a trait that has long since subsided) and I don't have the time to successfully complete a degree. So, how would I go about getting a TEFL Certificate? Additionally, how difficult would you say passing the certificate is? I'm not bad at English but I'm not brilliant either.

#2. Now you may be thinking, what's this guy on about planning to teach English for if he openly admits he is not exceptional himself in regards to the English language? Well, I do feel I have an advantage in regards to personality. I'm a natural teacher of others, I'm very outgoing, keen, and enthusiastic. I would definitely say working with others is one of my very best attributes as a person. That being said though, no one is ever complete and there is always room for improvement.

#3. Where would one go? I'm not too fussed about the wage (as long as its decent). Personally I'm thinking places like; Africa, China, Japan, India, Thailand and the Americas, what is the situation like when it comes to finding work in these areas?

#4. I'm well aware most would find the prospect of an 18 year old teacher laughable, but I really do feel that I am mature enough to carry out the job as good as any person. I'm worried employers would just take one look at my age not bother with me.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your time.
- Kyle.
markc
Rising Star

Re: Questions Regarding Working Abroad Teaching English at 18.

Unread post by markc »

Not having a degree will severely limit your choice of countries and jobs. And so will your age. Many people (prospective students, parents, and school managers) will think that 18 is too young.

However, anything is possible. A tefl certificate would definitely be a good idea. It's quite intense. You don't have to be perfect at English, but you must be prepared to learn (as you are preparing for lessons for example). Some centers don't require a degree to take the course. You might think about taking a course in a country you are interested in. Then you would have a chance of finding work on the spot.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Questions Regarding Working Abroad Teaching English at 18.

Unread post by systematic »

I know this is an older thread, but some readers may be attracted by its title or have arrived here from a Google search.S here a re a frew quick points:

1. I agree with markc, generally, most schools of all types would probably consider 18 to be too young for the responsibility of teaching abroad.

2. A degree is actually even more important that a TESOL certification if you want decent legal employment in most places.

3. You would probably need to get some GCEs of university entrance level standard to be able to study for a degree.

5. Be aware that many TESOL course providers will take anyone and will conveniently 'forget' to tell them that employment is still very difficult to get without a degree. A good course is going to cost a lot of money - maybe you could spend that amount on studying for some more GCEs.