B.S. Degree - No TESL - Where would you recommend?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

zwieback

B.S. Degree - No TESL - Where would you recommend?

Unread post by zwieback »

Looking to work abroad for a few months to a year. I have a business degree from a highly accredited university. I'm more than willing to get my TESL certification if necessary. Currently 24 years old, male, Asian.

I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to be placed into a program or scammed. What reliable resources can I look into and what destinations would you recommend based on my experience and demographic? If I'm applying in the next month or so, when is quickest I may be placed into a teaching position?

Thanks in advance.

Naive but curious.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: B.S. Degree - No TESL - Where would you recommend?

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

First off, most jobs are for a minimum of 1 academic year so it's unlikely you'll find work for just a few months.

The majority of jobs require a minimum of a degree (in any subject so you're alright there) and a TEFL certificate. Check out these forums for reliable courses (and do please check out ours as well!).

Next up is how to get the job. You can use an agency (which you should NEVER pay) or do as the majority of people do and just scour the internet for jobs and apply to those which take your fancy. Keep on and on doing this till you get accepted in a job and country which sounds right for you.

The highest demand for teachers comes at the start of the new academic year around October. The next highest is in January so if you work hard now you'll be able to find work for then. Of course there are jobs available all year round as well, it's just that the demand is less.

So, take a look at the job sites and see what comes up!
Lucas
Rising Star

Unread post by Lucas »

Yes, never pay a recruiting agency or TEFL school for job placement service! Some charge many times over the tuition fee for their TEFL course, between $600 and $1,000, for "hassle-free" job placement, but the truth is that it is the English institute that hires you which gets you the return airfare, accommodation, visa, etc.... and one TEFL school which offers internships in China was found to offer a much lower salary than the average for that country.
If you are still looking for a course, do check out our courses at www.ontesol.com
Ontesol - Online TESOL/TEFL courses. http://www.ontesol.com
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

In southeast Asia the school year starts on 15 May. Recruiting starts now. If you have all the qualifications you need, the best way to get a job is to be already in the country of your choice and available for interview at a moment's notice. Beware of some advertisers who are agencies pretending to be a school.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.