Contemplating

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

jeffla

Contemplating

Unread post by jeffla »

I am comtemplating teaching overseas. I would like to teach in Thailand. The thing that is holding me back is that I have a monthly payment of 140 USD a month for a student loan. I know that pay is influenced by many factors, but generally speaking would I be able to make this payment each month as a 1st year teacher?
Lucas
Rising Star

Re: Contemplating

Unread post by Lucas »

Hello,
Unfortunately, you won't be able to support yourself and pay your student loan while teaching in Thailand. Many people in your position teach in S.Korea for a year because they make an average of $2,500/month, receive paid accommodation, return airfare, and a lot more benefits. You could start there and then go to Thailand with some money in your pockets. You'll even enjoy it more because there are some amazing places to visit in Thailand.
If you need a TESOL/TEFL certificate, you can take the 100-hour course from Ontesol at www.ontesol.com
Cheers!
Lucas from Ontesol
Ontesol - Online TESOL/TEFL courses. http://www.ontesol.com
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Contemplating

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Generally speaking, in Thailand at an international school you could pull in about 900 USD per month.

A private school in Thailand will pay about 5-20 USD per hour and let's say you accumulate 20 hours per week @ 10 USD per hour then that works out at about 800 USD per month.

A cheap flat will cost you, say, 200 USD and living costs outside this are quite cheap.

I would say that if you are frugal and keep your living costs down to a strict minimum and if you get a job which pays reasonably well then yes, you could do it. But it won't be easy.

Of course given time you may be able to pick up some extra hours teaching here and there to relieve the burden, but that will come after time in the country.

Some useful info on TEFL in Thailand.