Do I need a TEFL certificate?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

agunya

Do I need a TEFL certificate?

Unread post by agunya »

This year I have graduated from university and got my degree (MA in translation studies). I have been teaching English for about 2 years. I'm teaching one-to-one, sometimes two and maximum 3 people (I don't like bigger groups). I'm thinking about my teaching career seriously and I'm wondering what to do next. I am constantly improving my English, watching TV programmes, films, reading books, articles, going online, preparing a lot of different things for my students. However, I'm doing all these things on my own. I am wondering if it's desirable to do some course in English teaching - do I really need it? Can I learn something there? Actually, I was studying English and German for 5 years and have my degree, I'm constantly working on the quality of my lessons, I'm learning to teach in practice... and I am having second thoughts about doing a TEFL course.

Could you guys express your opinion on this?

I'm not going to look for employment anywhere abroad as I'm running my own company - language "school".

Is it best to learn on your own or do a course and get a certificate?
Loulou

Re: Do I need a TEFL certificate?

Unread post by Loulou »

I suppose you could do it on your own. A lot of people do (I was one of them for a long time) but a course does help you enormously. It's always good to see and learn how others do it and to be corrected too. No-one is perfect, we can always learn something and TEFL courses do tend to give you inspiration! They can be a bit pricey but it's money spent on something definitely worth your while if you can afford it.
deana

Unread post by deana »

I recently grauduated from TEFL CHINA in yangshuo and have nothing but praise for the way that they prepare you for English language teaching. There was so much real teaching practice that I can now confidently go to my classes and use the many creative and effective skills that I have been taught.
At the moment, I am teaching in Shanghai, and am loving it. I am hoping to go and teach in Chile next year. Freedom! I am able to apply for jobs worldwide!
SO it is useful for you to take a Tefl course, which is really helpful.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

I'd say yes, definitely. The worst that could happen is that you'll reinforce what you know already, but there's a much stronger likelihood of you learning a great deal more, noticing and eradicating existing bad habits you may have picked up on the way, getting some great new ideas for your teaching and in general opening up to new ideas and methods and becoming a brilliant teacher! :D
tonyclarey

Unread post by tonyclarey »

Have been off the site for a while but this question caught my eye.
I do have a TEFL certificate but after having spent nearly 2 years unsuccessfully looking for employment teaching underprivileged children,I have belatedly come to realise it is probably as much use as a chocolate teapot.
The gaining of it involved an intensive weekend of 20hours + 80 hours correspondence course.It was administered by ITC.
In the meantime I have done some voluntary work in Nepal,India and the Refugee Centre in Norwich;but whenever I have applied for an interesting paid post the words 'masters degree' and recently 'CELTA' loom large.
I think any degree (let alone a masters) is out of the question,which leaves a recognised course that is going to give me a chance-any suggestions?
Tony c