Best online course for experienced teacher?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

teachinginchina

Best online course for experienced teacher?

Unread post by teachinginchina »

Hello,

I'm an American teaching in a western Chinese university. I'm beginning to look at job opportunities for when I return to the States in the fall, and many of them require "certification" or an MA. Apparently, most employers don't know there is no single "TEFL certification" like teaching elementary school or something. I've been teaching ESL professionally part time for six years and full time for two and a half, but I've only done on the job training.

So, I'm looking for an online course to boost my experience-filled resume. I'll need an online only course as I'm in a fairly rural area of China with no centers. Many of the courses are intended for new or beginning teachers and seem a bit redundant. I don't mind slogging through one if necessary, but I am wondering if there is a more suitable online course.

Thanks for your help in advance.

~Corrie
Lucas
Rising Star

Re: Best online course for experienced teacher?

Unread post by Lucas »

Hello,
Many experienced teachers take our 250-hour online course (www.ontesol.com), which is an extension of Coventry House International's 5-week Trinity CertTESOL program.
Now, if you want to teach in the American public system, you need a minimum of a BA in Education and no TEFL qualification, online or onsite, not even Trinity, TESL Canada or CELTA will do.
You can find out more at http://www.tesol.org/s_tesol/sec_docume ... 32&DID=395
Ontesol - Online TESOL/TEFL courses. http://www.ontesol.com
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Best online course for experienced teacher?

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

What you could try is our online course with Teaching Practice - since you're already working it would include videoed lessons so your teaching style and classroom management could be assessed and given feedback and suggestion.

There are details here.