American seeking certification

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

strider

American seeking certification

Unread post by strider »

First, I know most here are from the UK, so if anyone can point me to a forum with mostly Americans i'd appreciate it, but it seems finding forums for this topic is almost as full of crap as finding quality certification in the first place :P

I see that Trinity offers some courses outside England but none in the US. When I type CELTA North America, there is one relevant-looking result to a dead page. Can I get CELTA in the US, and where?

Lastly, can anyone speak to how much of a difference in salary this certification will really make? I plan to teach in Asia.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: American seeking certification

Unread post by systematic »

strider wrote:First, I know most here are from the UK, so if anyone can point me to a forum with mostly Americans i'd appreciate it, but it seems finding forums for this topic is almost as full of crap as finding quality certification in the first place :P

I see that Trinity offers some courses outside England but none in the US. When I type CELTA North America, there is one relevant-looking result to a dead page. Can I get CELTA in the US, and where?

Lastly, can anyone speak to how much of a difference in salary this certification will really make? I plan to teach in Asia.
If you would take the time to search this discussion board more accurately , you will find all your questions addressed in their respective forums, especially concerning working in Asia.

Equally, you may wish to acquire a greater understanding of how Internet search engines work. North America is not a country. Try refining your search to USA and/or Canda - I have done your homework for you and found literally HUNDREDS of results.

Finally, with all due respects, I would suggest that blustering in and complaining that this is a British board is probably not the best way to elicit replies in an Internet forum, especially on a subject as international as TEFL. Teaching English requires a high degree of cultural awareness, and adaptability towards working in cross cultural environments - unfortuately for you, you may even be finding yourself having to work alongside British teachers! You may not have noticed that the vast majority of posters here make no mention at all about where they come from. True is, however, that among the board members who regularly offer their advice, there are indeed a couple of Brits lurking in the background :mrgreen:
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.