TEFL Jobs with a Criminal Record?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

joeyb

TEFL Jobs with a Criminal Record?

Unread post by joeyb »

Hi everyone

I am looking to complete my TEFL certificate early next year with a view to teaching overseas for a year or 2. I noticed that for a lot of countries you must have a clean criminal record; I have a small fine for a drugs-related offence a few years ago, will this prevent me from teaching in a lot of countries?

If anyone has any advice or previous experience of this then please let me know.

Thanks
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL Jobs with a Criminal Record?

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Check with the authorities in the country where you'd like to go. Some won't ask so you needn't tell. Where are you interested in?
joeyb

Unread post by joeyb »

I was initially interested in teaching in South Korea but from what I've read, they seem to be very strict regarding visas. Elsewhere in Asia would definitely appeal to me, provided my conviction did not prevent me.

I'm really looking for not only the experience in teaching abroad but also the opportunity to earn enough so that I can save and pay off some debts.

Where do you have experience of teaching Pete? Do you have any advice? I also still have to get my TEFL qualification and I'm still undecided as to the best way to go about this.......
joeyb

Unread post by joeyb »

edit: regarding the financial side, I see you've already answered me on another part of the forum, cheers
joeyb

Unread post by joeyb »

I am now looking towards teaching in Spain; does anyone know if my record would prevent me from teaching there? I know it asks on a lot of the forms but would I always have to disclose this? I don't want to be dishonest but would really hate to be punished again for something which happened when I was young and stupid.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.