Students falling asleep in front of computers

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

EbnTanta

Students falling asleep in front of computers

Unread post by EbnTanta »

I sometimes have Asian students in my class. Some of them are nearly 20 or 22 years old. I have seen some of them falling asleep in front of computers in the computer room. I asked some teachers and they said it was quite common. I feel upset and need help to tackle this problem. Thanks.
RobJames
Rising Star

Re: Students falling asleep in front of computers

Unread post by RobJames »

Can you make the room colder? Maybe this will help.

Have you spoken to the students to ask why. Lack of interest? Not being able to apply the class in the future? Are these long classes which need more breaking up?

What about discipline? I think that you need to start saying that they should not be in the class, otherwise it creates a bad impression for the other students.
bluebird

Unread post by bluebird »

This is pretty common - Asians tend to work themselves too hard. In Korea, high school students are at school from 8am to 10pm, and they have to be at school Saturday mornings twice a month. You're lucky that they don't bring pillows and blankets to class. :D
fatima

Unread post by fatima »

Ithink staring at computer for long hours causes problems for students' eyes as it caused problems for me myself. a good way to stop students' falling asleep in front of computers is to ask them wear suitable eyeglasses. Hope this solves their problem. ;)