Best Country in which to earn/save money?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

joeyb

Best Country in which to earn/save money?

Unread post by joeyb »

I know that there is a lot more things to consider other than salary but I am very open in terms of where I teach. Does anyone have any advice as to where I could earn a decent wage and be able to save a bit?
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Best Country in which to earn/save money?

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

This will very much depend on the kind of person you are; are you frugal?

In the majority of countries you will earn enough as an English teacher to live reasonably well with an ok apartment and enough to have a good time out a couple of times a week. If you go to the Middle East then you're likely to earn more but then again the social life may not be as vibrant as a place like Rio or Bangkok where you will earn less.

Having said that, in South America you'll earn enough to employ someone to come in and clean your place and cook.

Personally I would look at the country rather than the wage. Unless you get a high-end job you won't earn big money regardless of where you go so you might as well find a place you enjoy and have a good time!

Summaries of Teaching Conditions in countries around the world.
joeyb

Unread post by joeyb »

Thanks for your reply Pete. I understand what you are saying and to be honest, I'm not the most frugal person :oops:

I realise that I won't be making big bucks but at the same time, it's important that I am earning enough to help pay debts back home. From what I've read, it seems that in the higher-salary countries in the Middle East, that I would need experience first? I am probably swaying towards on of the Asian countries - Korea, Japan, Taiwan - but will do a bit more research first.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

The Middle East does usually require some experience first. I've read a number of stories of people going off to Korea or Taiwan and doing a couple of years then heading over to Dubai when they've got the background so that's one route to take.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

I agree with ICAL Pete, that is the usual route to take to get the required experience without needing to live like a student
jonnielsen

Unread post by jonnielsen »

I've read this in an article and found out the best salaries by state of a teacher.

The most recent report included a list of teacher salaries by state. The state with the highest average teacher salary was Connecticut, at $57,760. California was a very close second, where the average teacher salary is $57,604. New Jersey teachers make approximately $56,635 per year. Rounding out the top five were Illinois and Rhode Island, with the average teacher salary at $56,494 and $56,432, respectively. The state with the lowest average teacher salary was South Dakota, at $34,039.

According to CBSalary.com, the average teacher salary by city was as follows: teacher-salaries-listed

* Springfield, IL – $48,015
* Chicago, IL – $53,713
* Atlanta, GA – $35,903
* Savannah, GA – $25,008
* Orlando, FL – $31,684
* Tampa, FL – $36,630
* Miami, FL – $34,501

Teacher salary also varies according to education level of the teacher. A teacher with a four year bachelor’s degree may make less than a teacher with a master’s degree. The ranges for teacher salary in Chicago, IL vary from $37,372 to $89,620. This wide range obviously incorporates education level and experience of a multitude of teachers. Teacher salary also depends on what school level or subject teachers specialize in. A secondary school teacher may make more than a primary school teacher. In Chicago, a primary school teacher makes approximately $44,480. A secondary school teacher makes about $4,000 more, or $48,180. The average mathematics teacher makes $38,211, while the average science teacher makes $62,391. These teachers may make up to $52,977 or $87,946, respectively. A history teacher at the secondary level makes $38,256. The highest reported income for a history teacher in Chicago is $53,106. These wide ranges include teachers in public and private institutions at a variety of experience levels.
"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it. "
Editor @ Daily Reviews
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

The 'best' country is dependent on so many criteria that it is not possible to make an objective comparison without having lived and worked for at least six months in all of them. To do that, on would need a working life of about 100 years ;) , or to conduct a really extensive poll (and it would need a huge mailing list to even obtion sufficient responses).

The OP is probably asking about countries rather than US states, and ICAL_Pete has given some good advice. I will underline any suggestions that teaching English abroad is probably not the best employment to seek anywhere, if one is hoping to live reasonably well, and cover debts and/or a mortgage back home. One must also take into account the cost of getting there (and back!), the cost health insurance (you won't want to be in a developing country without it) , of visas, work permits, and any other local requirements, such as health check certificate, police record certificate, translation of degrees and transcripts, etc., etc., and inconveniences of possibly having to renew these things at regular intervals.

Some schools may offer to cover some or all of these costs, it is essential to find out if they do, and if they keep their promise - plenty don't!
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.