am a complete newb with basic questions

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

pintsogin

am a complete newb with basic questions

Unread post by pintsogin »

i am 22 year old male interested in traveling abroad to teach english. I have been thinking about this for the past year or so and just now actually sought out info. Graduated from a community college and have an associates degree in general studies. I now attend a 4 year school but I really don't want to do this right now. I also have absolutely no teaching experience. Basically am wondering if this is a good idea. Am I the only person like this or have there been others in my position? I have no idea what am doing so i thought i'd ask people with experience. -thanks
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: am a complete newb with basic questions

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

No, there are loads of people like you out there who want to get into teaching English for a variety of reasons - travel, fun, vocation and so on.

The usual basic qualification is a BA degree plus a TEFL certificate. You may be able to get away with your present qualifications but it's not ideal. It is probably worth getting fully qualified in the long run, especially as in the future you don't want to be turning down a good job because you're underqualified.
petershell

Unread post by petershell »

As far as having no teaching experience goes that is not a problem. I know many teachers who started teaching abroad with no experience whatsoever and they have managed to find their way and some have become skilled ESL instructors. You've obviously spent a lot of time with teachers in the leraning environment and therefore you have been part of the teaching/learning dynamic so you already have something to go on. Don't let not having any experience put you off, you have to start somewhere!!!
Roosel

Unread post by Roosel »

Hi Pintsogin,

I also have no previous teaching experience, 22 years old, finished my honors degree. I am not really sure what to expect, but decided to go to Thailand and teach there, 2010. Personally I think that such an experience can do no harm.

Have you decided where and if you are going?
Good luck!
Lucas
Rising Star

Unread post by Lucas »

Hi Pints, Thailand is a great place to teach and live at your age. Wages may not be that great but enough to get by and travel around the country, which is truly amazing. At Koh Samui, you will find a diverse range of fun activities such as snorkeling, sea kayaking, bird watching, bungee jumping, elephant trekking, jungle trekking, and fishing. Google 'Full Moon Party' or find some videos on You Tube.
Here's more information about other TEFL destinations: http://www.ontesolteacherscorner.com/destinations.html
Ontesol - Online TESOL/TEFL courses. http://www.ontesol.com
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Lucas wrote: snorkeling, sea kayaking, bird watching, bungee jumping, elephant trekking, jungle trekking, and fishing. Google 'Full Moon Party' ...
- and I can tell you for a fact, that if you are living and teaching in Thailand, you will neither have much time, nor much money to indulge in those activities - especially at the ludicrously high tourist prices on Koh Samui.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.