tefl training near byron bay?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

jasper

tefl training near byron bay?

Unread post by jasper »

hi there,

i am interested in doing a TEFL training certificate

there is a local english language school, and they also offer TESOL courses to people, however, the duration is only four days. is that long enough? seems rather brief...'Wednesday Jan 20th to Sunday Jan 24th'

there is a university on the Gold Coast about an hour away. perhaps they will offer something more substantial..

any information or advice on the best training degree in my area (northern new south wales australia) would be helpful.

i already have a B.A. in Contemporary Music, and am 37 yo.
jasper

Re: tefl training near byron bay?

Unread post by jasper »

btw thought i should mention that the purpose of the degree or certificate would be to help me find english teaching work in european countries such as germany, france, poland ... perhaps other more exotic places.. i prefer cold weather.. anyway that is off topic, lol.

the reason i mention the 'purpose' is that from what research i have done, it would seem that TEFL is for teaching english in countries where English is *not* the first language, whereas TESOL is to train teachers who intend to teach English to foreign students in countries where English *is* the first language.

there does seem to be a lot of ambiguity about the difference, to the point where the two courses appear to service the same need of people to gain a certificate to help them gain work teaching English.