TEFL courses - where to start?!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

lucywills

TEFL courses - where to start?!

Unread post by lucywills »

Hello,

I'm thinking about enrolling in a TEFL course but I don't know where to start. I don't mind if it's for an intensive weekend or runs for weeks, but I haven't got a lot of money, so cost is a possible issue. I've been looking on the internet and i-to-i has a beginners course from just £210. Is that a possibility ? I want to have some classroom experience before I travel abroad.

Thanks in advance,

Lucy
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL courses - where to start?!

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

There are different options. Take a look at http://teflcoursereview.com to see what people say about different courses.

Some online companies (like our own) offer online courses including teaching practice. This could be one option.
lucywills

Unread post by lucywills »

ok, i'll do that. I was reading lots of threads on this forum and lots of people said that you should get a Trinity and Celta certificate. Is that my safest option and is that a more expensive way?
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

In my experience, practical teaching experience is essential and most serious job offers will require it. If you have done some mainstream classroom teaching that not connected with your chosen TEFL course, and can provide references for it, there is a fair chance that it will be accepted by recruiters in lieu of the standard 6 hour observed teacher training element. However, courses, whether online or attendance, that include observed teaching practice, will analyse your skills and weaknesses and help you to improve them before you embark on your solo career.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.