Moodle - what is it?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

wildfk

Moodle - what is it?

Unread post by wildfk »

Has anyone had any experience of using Moodle?

I'm not even clear what it is, but I have a large workforce who could do with a flexible EL training program.....will this fit the bill?
violinjeff

Re: Moodle - what is it?

Unread post by violinjeff »

Hi
I am a teacher and teacher trainer and also a great admirer of moodle. I wrote an article for ETP last year which gives an overview of of how you can use moodle for language teaching: the link is on http://jswebdesign.co.uk/pages/moodle
Jeff
joe14

Unread post by joe14 »

Moodle is a not-very-intuitive online learning system. There are much better ones out there which are far more intuitive, better produced and far more user-friendly.

Take a look at http://www.epignosis.com.gr/ which is very good and which I've used productively before.
sandranelson1968

Unread post by sandranelson1968 »

Moodle is a free public domain learning management system. It's software that you put on your server and it allows you to pretty easily, put up courses with teachers and students and learning activities. You don't need to be a progammer to use it. But, if you want it to look slick and be integrated with other parts of your IT infrastructure, you will need a programmer.

I took one course that was delivered in moodle on blog writing (blogwritingcourse.com). My kids built their english writing skills inside another moodle-based course called Time4Writing.com.

I mention these implementations of Moodle since they both have free course demos so you can see what moodle is capable of.

Lots of universities use moodle both for online courses and for online support of traditional courses.
jcksmith

Unread post by jcksmith »

Friends;

Moodle is an open source e-learning platform, sometimes its referred to as a Course Management System or Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).

It has been adopted around the globe with over seven million users [in November 2006].
edwardreed

Unread post by edwardreed »

Moodle (abbreviation for Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment) is a free source e-learning software platform, also known as a Course Management System, Learning Management System, or Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
emgarciap

Unread post by emgarciap »

I've been using Moodle for blended courses for more than 5 years now and I must say it works!
As open source software, developers are always updating it. For example, some features, such as portfolios, appeared recently.
I recommend it; it's user-friendly and intuitive!
Krikti

Unread post by Krikti »

As part of your broadband subscription to CLEO [in UK] your school can benefit from its own Learning Platform, at no cost to the school. Over 700 schools across Cumbria and Lancashire are already using Moodle, the open source Learning Platform centrally hosted and maintained for schools by CLEO.

Moodle provides a range of functionality covering content creation and delivery, communication and collaboration and management, including tracking and assessment tools.
Last edited by Joe on 04 Nov 2011, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [in UK]
taylorsuni

Unread post by taylorsuni »

I am not aware of this moodle software so, thanks for sharing this information on moodle software.
nicholasbent

Unread post by nicholasbent »

Moodle it means Modular object- oriented dynamic learning environment. It is a free open source of learning management system.
goodChloe

Unread post by goodChloe »

Hello!

Guys thank you to you all! As I was exactly looking for the answer of what Moodle means!

Now I know! Thank you once again!