St. George International.

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

larryparadine

St. George International.

Unread post by larryparadine »

The latest job vacancies list from tefl.net includes a plug for St. George International, which has just opened a school in Samara (mid-Volga region of Russia). I live in Russia and know Samara very well, having worked there for five of the last nine years, but I know nothing about St. George International, so haven't been able to help three people who've already contacted me (two by e-mail, one through another TEFL site) asking for info. Yes, of course the company would answer any requests for information it received, but I think teachers would appreciate a fly on the wall's view. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this company?
Chocmonster

Re: St. George International.

Unread post by Chocmonster »

I did a TEFL Trinty Cert with them in London, July 2007.

But, I have nothing to report about the international aspect or nothing useful I can add about their management.

I do, though, know someone who works there, and I will see if I can find out anything…

Kind regards,

Edd Turner
Jules

Unread post by Jules »

I have no knowledge of the school in Russia but I have worked at St George International in London and here are a few details about that from a teacher's perspective:

SGI is a small but very busy school in the centre of London which provides a variety of courses to a very international clientelle. The courses include one-to-one, group general English, IELTS exam preparation, Business English and in-company. The school also provides teacher training both for the Certificate and Diploma. The school is very good at retaining its teaching staff and many return to teach at SGI after working/studying elsewhere. The reason for this is probably the fact that the management are supportive, respectful and understanding. The Director of Studies is excellent and contributes greatly to the very positive atmosphere in the school. Okay, the pay is nothing special, but the people are what make the place.

I hope this is helpful.
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

larryparadine wrote:The latest job vacancies list from tefl.net includes a plug for St. George International
Just for the record, TEFL.net doesn't "plug" schools and to our knowledge we have not listed any St George school in the last 3 months. You perhaps saw the listing on another site. If we are wrong, our apologies, but then please show where you found it on TEFL.net. Thank you.
larryparadine

My apologies for a slip of the pen (well, keyboard). I meant tefl.com, to be exact lists.tefl.com, which is not teflnet. Its full name is TEFL Professional Network and I inadvertently created a hybrid out of the two. Very careless of me. No offence meant and none taken (I hope?)
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

larryparadine wrote:No offence meant and none taken (I hope?)
Absolutely not :) Just wanted to clarify.
larryparadine

My thanks to Jules and Chocmonster for their responses. I'm glad to hear that the London school gets your approval but, as a general rule, flagships are spotless and a public relations showcase, the rusty, barnacled scows of the far flung fleet are a different matter altogether. If all schools across the globe flying the International House, Language Link, English First and other corporate colours were as efficient and as sensitive to student and teacher needs as their parent schools, the forums of websites used by teachers (I don't necessarily include this one) wouldn't be so frequently deluged with complaints from the disgruntled and horror stories from the traumatised.