Getting into TEFL Teaching

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

bexk11

Getting into TEFL Teaching

Unread post by bexk11 »

Hi,

I'm looking at getting into TEFL teaching but was after a bit of advice about the best route to take. Is the CELTA the best qualification to have? and how easy is it to get a job in the UK once you have this? Is it best to gain experience abroad first? I have a teaching qualification in Further Education here in the UK, but am keen to move into TEFL but want to take the right qualification, can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Getting into TEFL Teaching

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Essentially you will need a degree and a TEFL Certificate. You are right in that CELTA is arguably the best qualification, but it is an advanced course and I would personally not recommend it to anyone who does not have at least 2 years experience teaching along with a thorough knowledge of the English language.

Students who have taken CELTA have said it to be the most academically challenging 4 weeks of their lives!

For a full breakdown of qualifications you can see here but in your situation I would suggest a basic TEFL Certificate and then go and teach abroad for a few years to get some experience. If you then still want to return to the UK you'll be in a good position to find a great job.