Teaching Abroad with no degree

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

surfxx30

Teaching Abroad with no degree

Unread post by surfxx30 »

So apparently this is a hotly debated subject here. I am a 22 year old American high school graduate who has 30 college credits but have not graduated with a university degree. I would like to teach abroad starting in January 2010, but I have no idea where to start. I am interested in teaching in a wide variety of countries including Barcelona, Thailand, Italy, Kenya, Belize, Costa Rice and the list goes on.

I have a friend who is teaching abroad and is currently receiving a TEFL online certification (through BridgeTEFL). This would be ideal for me as my schedule is currently demanding and I do not have the time to take a full in-person course. Does anyone know what countries it would be easiest to teach in without a university degree? I am not interested in making tons of money, but I would like a salary that would allow me to live comfortably and or provides housing.

Please let me know if anyone can help.

Thanks
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching Abroad with no degree

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

In most places the basic requirements for entry level teaching positions are a degree plus a TESL/TEFL certificate.

Europe might prove more difficult not only because you don’t have a degree but also because EU passport holders are always preferred.

China is still quite relaxed with the rules of requiring teachers to hold a minimum degree. However it will largely depend on the employer and their specific job requirements. In theory you only need a degree if you want to work in a university or want a residence visa. Having said that it is also true that employers in China are starting to list a Bachelor's degree amongst the qualifications required. This does not mean that you have no chances of getting hired without a degree, it simply means that you may not have the pick of the jobs.

Vietnam, Philippines and Indonesia are also countries where you can still be employed without a degree.

Some countries have an agreement with Japan which entitles their citizens - aged 30 or younger, to a working holiday visa regardless of whether they have a degree or not. Check with your embassy to see if your country is one of those who have undersigned this agreement with Japan.

Finally, if you are after quality online TEFL training do take a look also at what ICAL has to offer.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching Abroad with no degree

Unread post by systematic »

surfxx30 wrote:So apparently this is a hotly debated subject here.
Quite right :D You will find a wealth of information on these forums, particularly the fact (stated many times) that it is practically impossible to get legal or decent employment in Thailand without a degree.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.