Finished Headway for Beginners - what next???

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

wildfk

Finished Headway for Beginners - what next???

Unread post by wildfk »

On the recommendation of someone on this site I used Headway for Beginners with a group of very basic (adult) learners at my place of work here in Thailand.

I have to say it was very successful, and I've used it now on about 5 separate groups.

The problem now is where to go next. - Can anyone recommend a good text-book????

I'm not familiar with the Headway series but it seems that the next book could be either Elementary OR Elementary "Third Edition" -

what's the difference between New Headway and New Headway "third Edtion"? They are available on the same selves in the places I've looked.

Furthermore, they really don't seem to take the learner that much further than the Beginners' book - would it be worth skipping the "elementary" all together and going on to "pre-intermediate"?

I also have used Interchange extensively and was considering starting them on Book 1 - (omitting the Intro book).

Have you got a good idea for a text-book? I'm teaching adults in their workplace, so anything from conversation to business English could be considered.

Thanks.
G'day
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Finished Headway for Beginners - what next???

Unread post by Lucy »

I’ve asked myself the same question after using the Headway beginner book.

If your students have fully mastered (or mistressed) the beginner book, there probably isn’t much point in them doing the elementary book. I suggest a pre-intermediate book: it could be Headway, English File or any other. I‘ve never used the Interchange series; so, can’t make any comments on that.

Some classes find the reading texts and recordings in English File easy after using Headway. That depends on how much they have progressed with the beginner book. You could try an activity from various books with the class before making a final decision.

I think the third edition is just the updated version of New Headway. Although now the fourth edition is out (or coming out soon).

Lucy
wildfk

Re: Finished Headway for Beginners - what next???

Unread post by wildfk »

THanks Lucy,

I quite like the look of the new English File as it has a lot of IT/Rom stuff on it.
I'm also checking out Inernational Express and Headway Third. - all at pre-intermediate.

my class is factory staff - are products are 100% export so we have to get them good at telephone English and emails....but they need to run before they can walk.
G'day