LC Coaching In Class TEFL Course

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

giselea8

LC Coaching In Class TEFL Course

Unread post by giselea8 »

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about LC Coaching? I haven't heard much about this organization. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

http://www.lccoaching.com/100hourtesl.html
Kyoung

Re: LC Coaching In Class TEFL Course

Unread post by Kyoung »

I had studied Tesol with LC Coaching. When I started I didn't expect that I would have so much fun and learn many things. We've learned how to teach business people, children and beginners etc. We also learned about cultural differences and how they influence you as a teacher. We simulated all different kinds of situations in the class. I met interesting people and the teacher inspired us to learn and participate. I have a friend who also studied with me at LCC, he is teaching in South Korea now. He said that it was really helpful to him.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

It doesn't seem any cheaper than CELTA or Trinity, so I would suggest them instead
timbecherer

Unread post by timbecherer »

My name is Tim Becherer and I graduated from the LC Coaching program in October of 2008. It was a great program loaded with information and advice. I had a great time in the classes and learned alot. Now that I'm actually teaching English abroad, I can give you even more insight to what LC Coaching has to offer. Everything that I was taught in the course is relevant. Best of all, the course teaches you how to get work. You are taught how to not only get a job with a school, but how to pursue getting private students and business clients. Everything that I was taught works. I am in Kazakhstan, which is not the mecca of ESL jobs on the job boards and I have had NO problem with getting work. You are taught in the class that when you get to the country you want to work in, if you tell people you are an English teacher, you will get many requests for private tutoring. This is 100 percent true. I have more clients that I know what to do with. You are also taught how to teach business English to clients. I am teaching six clients at a big bank in Almaty right now. I also teach for the most prestigious university in Kazakstan and I am currently tutoring the son of the president of the university. Not too bad for being in a country that is hardly on the ESL map. The course also teaches you how to deal with culture shock. Again, here the training is 100 percent accurate. You are taught the stages of culture shock and it is amazingly accurate. I think that you will find the class to be fun and informative.
Dougcb

Unread post by Dougcb »

I had a great experience with LCC. The course was great and they set me up with a job in Thailand. The move to Bangkok (especially having never been to Asia) was quite an experience. The food is fantastic and it's rained a whole lot. It was overwhelming but i found an apartment on the 34th floor of a pretty nice buildig on Silom Rd in walking distance from the school. Compared to most of the other teachers' living and commuting situations mine is idea. I hear of some that have to take skytrain to the boat, to catch the bus, and then a motorbike taxi to reach the school each and every day. Hell no lol

The main problem i have had with my students is that it is difficult to get them to speak up in class. Oh of course they want to chat with each other but when i ask them a question they won't say a peep. If they won't talk i make them stand up and try and embarras an answer out of them and so far that has worked quite well. Some of the classes i have successfully frightened but some of the others i have not. Remember that this is a catholic school and they are frightened of the sisters and thai teachers but i feel like they think of the English class as a joke. All in all it's been a good experience but it's exhausting and when the kids are bad and refuse to do anythign i just don't know what to do.

I do feel like the LC Coaching class provided me with a great deal of confidence and i was more nervous during the training than i was on my first day. There are a couple of teachers that are so american it makes me want to scream but for the most part all of the other teachers are pretty cool.

I hope all is well in LA and i hope your new students keep on coming. I heard that tons of people are leaving the US since there are no jobs nowadays.
dvouri

Unread post by dvouri »

After spending 20+ years in business sales management, I left my company in order to pursue another career path. As it turned out, I was drawn to taking a TEFL course after reading an article about opportunities in teaching abroad. I was a college graduate and had obtained my elementary and secondary teaching credentials in the early 70’s, and completed 5 years of teaching before moving into the business world.

I researched several companies and universities that provided the TEFL training and settled on LCC as it offered 100 hours of training, covering the basics in addition to TOEFL and teaching young learners. The cost was more reasonable than most courses offered, and the instructor was quite good. Keep in mind, that you get out of something what you put into it, and I recommend that anyone who takes an LCC course, read the manual in between classes – there is valuable information that is not covered in class.

Finding a job can be daunting, so be prepared to hone your CV so that it is no more than two pages. Have all your documents available to scan as every potential employer wants copies of everything. For those of you over 60 years of age, finding a job can be more difficult than your 30 year old counterparts, but perseverance does pay off, as I found a job after 6 weeks of sending out resumes and leave for China on Sept. 17. After I accepted this job, I was offered another one teaching 4/5 grade in a suburb of Bangkok.

I recommend LCC as a language training course if you are serious about teaching overseas as it is one of the few companies that does offer 100 hours of training which is very important to future employers.