How scary is it?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

pirae86

How scary is it?

Unread post by pirae86 »

I've never lived alone in a foreign country. I'm just wondering, how scary is it?
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Re: How scary is it?

Unread post by Peter Easton »

Where are you from and where are you going?
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Perhaps this ICALwiki article might help alleviate some of your worries. :D
ThomasTopham

Unread post by ThomasTopham »

People are people. After 15 years abroad I find Canadians (my fellow countrymen) to be the scariest people of all. :D
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

pirae86 wrote:I've never lived alone in a foreign country. I'm just wondering, how scary is it?
It's no worse than taking a vacation alone in a foreign country. If you have not already done so, you may prefer to travel abroad first. This may of course be much easier for Europeans, none of whom live more than a couple of hundred miles from their nearest foreign neighbour.

You could also read up on the country of your choice. Search the Internet, and maybe also read the Lonely Planet.

Unless you intend teaching in Irak or Afghanistan, or in or near a combat zone, there's nothing really 'scary' about it.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
scrubmuncher

Unread post by scrubmuncher »

pirae86 wrote:I've never lived alone in a foreign country. I'm just wondering, how scary is it?

You will be fine as long as you pick somewhere reasonably safe for your first adventure. If you went off to Haiti or similar for a first trip you may find it slightly stressful. Not because of the job, but because it is a stressful place to live, understand and adapt to anyway.
Have fun, it's what it's all about ;)
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

As an example of working in a developing country, provided you meet all the legal requirements, Thailand is an exceptionally safe country. Forget about the news on TV about political unrest - tens of thousands of expats live here, and it hasn't affected our daily lives in the slightest. The standard of living is higher than in some of the 'new' ex-communist members of the European Union, and probably equates to Turkey (Alex can give you more info there), for example.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
bluebird

Unread post by bluebird »

It really depends on where you are going. In many places there is an active expat community, and it is possible to live as though you had never left home.
Loulou

Unread post by Loulou »

Ah, there's a question that no-one thinks to ask but everyone worries about!
I left South Arica when I was 22 for Europe. I now live in France and I have travelled and worked ALL over. Yes, it is a little stressful in the beginning but as long as you are prepared for your trip everything should be ok. Hmm, I can hear people thinking "yes, but what if...". Well, what ifs happen even at home and that's life. I've found that almost everywhere you go there are helpful and unhelpful people but there really is no reason you won't get along just fine. Be aware of the inner workings of a country and where and how to get along practically before you leave. Know where and how to contact the police, the hospital etc..., make sure you have enough of the country's currency on you before entering the country and don't forget that it is an ADVENTURE! So, it doesn't really matter if not everything goes as planned, sometimes you get better than what you were expecting because things didn't go the way you planned. Lastly, just have fun and get as much out of your trip as possible. Besides, if you really don't like it, you can always go home!