Tefl-celta - which course to take plus other advice

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

MickyMack

Tefl-celta - which course to take plus other advice

Unread post by MickyMack »

Hi there.

I have recently been made redundant after 25 years in direct sales environment, the last 10 years in telecoms. I have no teaching experience and do not have a degree. However i am highly experienced in presenting to large groups of people from employees to board level.

I have decided its time for a change, and the redundancy has given me the opportunity to take my time and "make the right decision" I decided when i was made redundant that i would take out at least a year and do some traveling. I then thought that it would be a good idea to work my may around, maybe with my contacts abroad get another job in sales etc. However when researching various forums, it occurred to me that a getting a tefl qualification would be a great idea.

I have always enjoyed the presenting/training side of my previous job and think that a career in teaching would be a natural progression.

I now have a few dilemmas though and a few questions which i hope somebody can answer?

1) although i have no degree, i consider myself to be intelligent and a good speaker/presenter. I am looking at teaching possibly in Spain first and then maybe moving further afield Thailand/far east etc. Would the lack of a degree make a massive difference in my ability in securing a job?

2) i have looked at various courses, Celta and non Celta. I am looking at a 4 week course part on site, part online. I have looked at the following:

a) "i to i"
seems a little less expensive but is not a CELTA accredited certificate. this is what their accreditation says:

Our TEFL certificates are accredited by the ODLQC and this will help to verify the quality of your TEFL course. Every i-to-i graduate will be given a letter of reference from their tutor and this will help to support your application when you start looking for work overseas.

b) ITESOL
Again not a CELTA course but this is from their web site:

As the leading provider of quality TEFL/TESOL courses across the world INTESOL is proud to bring you qualifications that have been accredited as being at NQF Levels 4 & 5 by OCNW, a National Awarding Body, which is recognised worldwide!

The Awarding Body for your TESOL qualification is of paramount importance, consider it carefully.

OCNW is a unique organisation, enjoying the status of a National Awarding Body (NAB), approved by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA) and an Authorised Validating Agency (AVA), licensed by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA).

c) Action English which is more expensive (around £1000) but is a 4 week fully hands on CELTA course.

Does anybody have any experience in either of these modules, or can advise me on whether its worth paying the extra and getting a CELTA certificate?

Your help and advice would be really appreciated.

MM
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Tefl-celta - which course to take plus other advice

Unread post by systematic »

i-to-i cetrtificates, in spite of their accreditation, are not quite so good at opening doors to serious, well paid, full-time employment.
Although there are some good online courses, the best jobs will inevitably go to teachers who can demonstrate that they have acquired their skills in the classroom.
Please try checking out the other threads on this board for in-depth answers to your other questions - they are some of the most popular topics.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
Ellechim

Unread post by Ellechim »

As someone in their last 2 weeks of the CELTA part time course, I would recommend CELTA, and I would look to the CELTA website for approved institutions. I cannot imagine trying to learn this on line in any way shape or form. My two tutors have been excellent and every minute is vital.

I say this for a very important reason, in surveying our students they are not learning English just for a laugh, they are learning it to improve the job prospects in their own country, so there is real responsibility in teaching which I do not think is reflected in an on line course and the gap year job that it is seen as.

I would find the best local CELTA course, ask to watch a lesson or two before you apply and if you like the look of it apply. If you go ahead with the course, do all the reading, if it is a 4 week course you will be living and breathing it!

Regarding the degree it would seem that it is becoming more important, mainly I think because a degree is a minimum standard, but their are opportunities. You said you were successful in sales, so I would suggest you think about the Business English extension.

If you see a class and enjoy it and are happy to compromise on location and pay while you gain the first years experience, then go for it. As with any change of career, you will not start at the top.

I am saying all this as someone who is doing the same thing. I have a part finished degree that I am going to move to OU, that you may want to look at as well if you decide to get a degree.

I am not employed by CELTA but if you take this change of career seriously, you will want the best course from the best provider and this is it, but I do not htink on line course cuts it and as you do not have a degree the CELTA is a big read flag to employers that you are serious.

Best of luck and if you go ahead I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Cheers
ThomasTopham

Unread post by ThomasTopham »

Hey MickyMack,

First of all congratulations on taking the plunge. I got out much earlier in life than you but it is never too late to leave the rat race behind... :D

I agree with others that online stuff is not going to give you the practical classroom tools and experience you'd get from an intensive face to face course. The CELTA, Trinity, and SIT TESOL are all options I would explore here.

I also agree that although a degree is a nice plus, your extensive business background can get you into teaching Business English, which can be a more lucrative field than standard English teaching. Being willing to wear a tie, and having a few years on the typical TESOL teacher, will also help give you the gravitas needed to be successful in this niche.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Teaching business English, especially as an in-house teacher in a large hotel or company can be far more lucrative and much more rewarding than teaching a bunch of 60 uncontrollable kids in a crowded classroom. The employer might not insist on a degree, if the candidate has a suitable background, and a teacher licence is not usually required for teaching adults.

However, as has been mentioned on this board many times, a degree is often a government requirement for a visa and a work permit, in addition to a TESOL certificate.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.