Text books

For general discussion between teachers - or use one of the forums below for more specific topics.

Moderator: Susan

Text books

Unread postby skatz » 19 Apr 2009, 18:59

This is probably a really dumb question but when buying a text book to use for a class do I also need the cd that comes seperately? I see on Amazon that these are way more expensive than the books! Are there any good beginner textbooks that come in a package with everything you need including teacher guide? Also are the books photocopyable?

Thanks, as you can tell I am a complete newbie :D
skatz
Registered Member

Re: Text books

Unread postby Alex Case » 20 Apr 2009, 23:24

All good questions. Here goes:

- I would highly recommend buying the CD, especially for a beginner teacher, but if you really can't afford it you can read out from the tapescripts as the students listen or record them before the lesson with a friend and then play that. Alternatively, some courses come with a student CD that includes most or all of the audio

- I'm not aware of any adult courses that come as a package, but a few teacher's books have a copy of the students' book page in the teacher's book and so might cut down on the number of copies you need to buy

- Textbooks are never photocopiable, but some pages of the teacher's book might be. Each photocopiable page will be clearly marked as such, and everything else isn't
Alex Case
Teacher Trainer

Re: Text books

Unread postby skatz » 21 Apr 2009, 07:55

Thank you so much Alex, that is all very helpful. I have managed to order the Headway book and teacher's book from the library, also a cd I believe so I will be able to have a look before I commit! The company I will be teaching for is for adult education and they said they will buy my books but students will have to buy their own so I want to pick something worthwhile ;)
skatz
Registered Member

Return to General Teacher Discussion