Teaching in Asia

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Prestonlass

Teaching in Asia

Unread post by Prestonlass »

Hi, I'm a qualified adult education tutor in the UK and thinking about teaching in asia. I have spent time in the last year travelling Nepal, India, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore and having returned to the UK find not many reasons to stay. I have a degree, teaching qual but noTEFL qual. Just wanted to know which countries other teachers recommend teaching in? The reality of the jobs on offer and the conditions? Would doing a short on line TEFL course make any difference to me finding a position? Many thanks
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching in Asia

Unread post by Alex Case »

A short online course can make a slight difference, but taking a proper 4 week course like the CELTA will have a lot more impact in terms of being able to apply to decent schools and being able to do your job once you get into the classroom.

I've worked in Thailand, Japan and Korea. Of those, Thailand feels the most like still being travelling (for better or worse), Japan is the easiest and has big chains of schools (for better or worse), and Korea pays the best and has (I am told, being too old for it myself) the best nightlife.