Why does everyone want me to go immediately?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Heather123

Why does everyone want me to go immediately?

Unread post by Heather123 »

I have interviewed with three different recruiters, and all three have expressed interest in hiring me, but then shy away when they find out I don't want to go for another six months. Isn't it understandable that there are loose ends to tie up and plans to make? And don't the schools abroad have enough time to forecast when they'll need teachers?

It makes me nervous that they want me to arrive in a month or as soon as possible. Are they pressuring me so I don't have time to really think it through or get to the bottom of the situation? It just seems that everyone is the same - It's not just one slimy recruiting company...

Does anyone have the answer to this question. I realize that openings happen and need to be filled immediately, but it just seems to look like all the position are relatively soon.

Thanks for your input,
Heather
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Re: Why does everyone want me to go immediately?

Unread post by Peter Easton »

I think you're being a bit unreasonable here Heather. When people tell me they will come in six months I sense lack of commitment because I know from experience that 90 percent of them will not arrive - they're just toying with the idea. Everyone likes to talk about living and working overseas but only one or two in a hundred actually have the balls to do it. Sorry to put it bluntly but that's reality.

Six months is a long time - too long. A lot of things can happen, not least the vacancy gets filled...
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Peter Easton has hit the nail on the head.
The movement of a TESOL workforce, being traditionally populated by people looking for a short term experience, is highly unpredictable. many leave in mid term because they find the going too rough, or get fired; others don't hand in their notice until the last week of the semester, while still others ask for a renewal of their contract at the last minute.

It's very similar to supply and demand of labour in most industries.
SunShine
Rising Star

Unread post by SunShine »

Agree with systematic and Peter Easton. Heather, welcome to the real world. We have just moved to Holland. Had a month to prepare a major move. Had to totally redecorate the house, sell most of furniture, find our youngest a place to live, pack, decide what to take, partition the garage, move crates into it, find tenants and get all the docs ready and chase contract here. And it was Christmas time when most places were closed or people were on holiday. The worst Christmas of my life, almost, but we made it.

Why do you need six months? I have just applied for summer jobs, maybe that's your answer then.
systematic
Top Contributor

SunShine wrote: Had to totally redecorate the house, sell most of furniture, find our youngest a place to live, pack, decide what to take, partition the garage, move crates into it, find tenants and get all the docs ready and chase contract here. And it was Christmas time when most places were closed or people were on holiday.
A refreshing post Sunshine. With that kind of devotion to duty you must be a true professional. There are recent posters who maintain that there are no professionals in the game - perhaps they didn't meet any.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
Heather123

Unread post by Heather123 »

Well, I think you guys are being quite ridiculous. I don't know your situation, but I'm in a lease and have a pretty stable lifestyle. I like to plan, save money and research all of my options before moving across the world with such haste.

I am going to China in August. I have a few schools/companies I'm looking at, - So, I'm serious. I think your replies are somewhat true but mostly exaggerations. I'm not sure if you are recruiters yourselves, or what your motives are, but it doesn't seem any of you are unbiased. If it's a good, stable company and they really want a good teacher, they'll plan ahead.

Just to give you an idea - I've been researching companies and locations for two months to decide where to go. Now I'm getting my TESL certification and I'm figuring out what to do with my long-term responsibilities here while I'm away. Then I will take a month to travel and tie up loose ends. I don't know a single person right now who would move to China with a months notice. It has nothing to do with how serious or capable I am; I just like to know what I'm getting myself into, and plan accordingly.

So, I guess I didn't need your insight. But thanks anyway.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
systematic
Top Contributor

Peter Easton wrote:The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
I think also she will find on completion of her further research, that one or two of us here are veterans of teaching, teacher training, recruitment, and school administration/ownership, and have been posting in the very best interests of providing accurate information, and a realistic portrayal of the current situation.

Although many teachers will sign contracts before even visiting the country of their choice, my personal advice has always been to do plenty of research, go to the country first and follow up any vacancies from there. For obvious reasons, the best jobs always go to people who are available for immediate personal interview. If my own experience is worth anything, I came to low-cost-of-living Thailand ten years ago with enough resources and visas to enjoy a three month stay, but found an acceptable teaching job within ten days. Within three months I was enjoying a pleasant position in a university.

IMHO, with the exception of established universities and international schools of high repute, to accept a job from abroad is one of the most risky practices.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

systematic wrote: I think also she will find on completion of her further research, that one or two of us here are veterans of teaching, teacher training, recruitment, and school administration/ownership, and have been posting in the very best interests of providing accurate information, and a realistic portrayal of the current situation.
Couldn’t have put it better.

It’s the lack of flexibility that scares employers. Anyone in charge of a school thinks ‘how much trouble is this person going to be to manage, if they are already trying to dictate an impractical timeframe? I, and more importantly the market, will be the judge of whether we have an opening in six months, not the candidate.’

You can’t have your cake and eat it. It might be easy to get a job in China but not so easy that you can insist recruiters make such special provision for someone with no experience or qualifications, currently overseas and who only intends to honour an agreement.

What a waste of time. I’d rather have someone in my team who’s cooperative, dependable, willing and here, not someone with an awkward and selfish attitude.
systematic
Top Contributor

Peter Easton wrote: I, and more importantly the market, will be the judge of whether we have an opening in six months, not the candidate... ...What a waste of time. I’d rather have someone in my team who’s cooperative, dependable, willing and here, not someone with an awkward and selfish attitude.
Not only, Peter, but also those who bail out at the last minute. Many has been the time I've waited like an idiot at Bangkok airport...
I would also give preference to a confident 'walk-in' candidate even if a vacancy were not being advertised - sometimes a post can be created on the spot for the right person.
engscot

Unread post by engscot »

Hmmm, take the compliment...they not only want you but need you...want to pay you and offer you that life oversea's that so many of us dream of. It doesn't have to be last minute... I am currently in process with HESS (Taiwan) for a start date in December 2009 and also with EF (Indonesia) for the same date. The problem is that we EFL teachers are in high demand and expressions of interest are seen as applications in some cultures. If you think about here in the UK the process is lengthy when it comes to applying for any job whereas due to supply demands the EFL teacher is needed ASAP.

I hope you get what you want and really enjoy a career that is fulfilling and life changing.

Dave