Fired in Korea after two weeks need advice

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Zimmerman

Fired in Korea after two weeks need advice

Unread post by Zimmerman »

Sorry if this is not posted in the right place. I've been trying to get on other message boards that are more directly related to Korea but I just can't get anyone to activate my account.

I just need some advice on how to get another job in Korea after I was fired after two weeks in Pusan. This is my first time in Korea and my boss insists that I find another job because she says that I'm "not suited for the job." I have a masters degree (not in linguistics or tesl) so technically I have the credentials. But the woman just wants me out. (This is just a private language school).

I asked her to extend my Visa until I found another job and she agreed. The thing is though, she wants me to write a letter of resignation. Even though she is forcing me out. My contract says if I quit then I have to repay the airfare. So I think she's trying to screw me. Plus I need the two weeks wages, I'm running out of money.

I believe I need for her to give me a Letter of Release so I can take it to immigration and cancel my visa, leave the country, return on a tourist visa, and use that to find employment. But I may have a hard time getting this Letter of Release if I don't give her a letter of resignation.

Also I only have a vague idea on how to go about all this (paperwork). Does anyone know anything?

Also, if I am firm on the fact I was fired, how would I get another job? Wouldn't it look bad if I told the new possible employer that I was fired?

Again, I'm sorry if I am not posting this in the right place. I just can't seem to find the right information anywhere. I suppose I can call immigration, but I have no phone and really need an insiders take on this. I would appreciate any advice.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Fired in Korea after two weeks need advice

Unread post by systematic »

Hi Zimmerman,
It looks as if she's not going to keep you anyway, so a letter of resignation from you may be a better thing to have rather than risk a notice of dismissal from her. You could also sound out whether or not she is prepared to give you a reference.

As far as the bureaucracy is concerned, Alex Case is the Korea expert.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
Zimmerman

Re: Fired in Korea after two weeks need advice

Unread post by Zimmerman »

systematic wrote:Hi Zimmerman,
It looks as if she's not going to keep you anyway, so a letter of resignation from you may be a better thing to have rather than risk a notice of dismissal from her.

Yes, I understand, but if I resign she'll bill me a thousand or more for the flight over and it gives her an excuse not to pay me for the two weeks I've been here. I'm hoping other schools will understand that sometimes people are fired unjustifiably. Some of the reasons she gave me for wanting me to leave were purely fabricated. I have contacted my original recruiter and we are working something out. I'll check out Alex Case. Thanks for the input.