Large classes - 65 students. Help! Any ideas?

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

peggy

Large classes - 65 students. Help! Any ideas?

Unread post by peggy »

I teach 65 junior middle students oral English for 40 minutes once a week. (in China) I am accustomed to teaching Academic English to adults in much smaller classes and feel a little non-plussed at how to use this short lesson to its full benefit.

has anyone had experience with this kind of class - any tips suggestions/ideas would be most welcome
teresacui

how to teach large class

Unread post by teresacui »

my opinion is that to divide them into groups and show them examples as to some language patterns and allow them time to practice on their own. it is really difficult to teach large class english, especially oral english, i used to teach a class of 83 students and i know exactly how it feels like. :roll:
yxxygrdzlmoot

Unread post by yxxygrdzlmoot »

Pair-work activities have to be the way to go. Explain a simple language point concisely, and allow them to practice in pairs.
This link will direct you to some free communication activites, most of which are for use in pairs: Activities for pairs

For free teaching resources and daily ESL job updates: tesljobs.com
chocalate

Unread post by chocalate »

i think the best way to teach this kind of class is to divide them into groups. try practice them in groups insead of indivisual. you can also use different activities for each groups. this way can engourage the studetns to motivate and learn faster. i hope that you got fruitful advice.

Good Luck
ForumAngel

Unread post by ForumAngel »

Have you considered setting up stations around the room with different activities? They'll be able to move around even with the fixed desks and be able to look forward to the next activity.

Here is a way to separate them into groups:
You can do things that are different than just numbering off or calling out names that are time savers as well.

Prepare index cards ahead of time with different numbers, colors, shapes, words, etc. on them. Hand one to each student as they enter the classroom at the beginning of class. If you'll want your students to get into more than one group during a specific class period, you can even use two (or more) different types of classifiers on each card. Then, when you want the students to get into groups, just tell them that you want them to find the others with the same color or same word, etc. (You can still use a reward for the first group to get together, if you want.)

Your stations can all coincide with whatever unit you are doing and can consist of games, active reading activities, problem solving, etc. Check out the website below for some great ideas on games.

Kind regards,
Shelley
Receive free games and ideas to make teaching children more fun on: http://www.teachingenglishgames.com
domgag12

Re: Large classes - 65 students. Help! Any ideas?

Unread post by domgag12 »

I went through this in China, 20 classes of 50 students a week...You have no choice than to split your class in two blocks, depending of the size and the avaible space. And then you do your best.

We must realize the limits inherent to such a case. The chinese schools that give us huge classes should know that even if they pay for a native English teacher, miracles won't happen. It's impossible to cope for all the problems it creates.

So I would suggest you to take it easy, and don't mind too much about it.
azharyoussef

Re: Large classes - 65 students. Help! Any ideas?

Unread post by azharyoussef »

I agree with the idea of dividing students into groups.
It is a very fruitful way in large classes.
You can divide them into small groups of five students.
Every group has a leader. He/she is responsible for managing his/her group.
This leader (younger teacher) can teach his/her group members
as students can learn from themselves.
This role can be exchanged from time to time
as Ss like to be a leader for a while.

In groups, every member has a role, leader, writer,
spokesperson, time keeper, dictionary assistant.
So, you will find all Ss involved in achieving their objective.

Also, you should involve ur students into activities
all the time to prevent noise.

I wish these ideas will solve ur problem
Good luck