TEFL course in Thailand...???

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

szabadszellem

TEFL course in Thailand...???

Unread post by szabadszellem »

Hello all!

When I saw this forum I thought it was great as I am just about to start a TEFL course and here you can read a lot of comments..my plan would be to find a school in Thailand and straight after finish I would like to start teaching in Thailand or in one of the neighbouring countries...

So my question is what would be your advice in finding a TEFL course in Thailand? I already find a lot of schools in Thailand but I dont know which school would be the best to get good qualification...I would like to go to a school where I get a good certificate and afterwards I could get a good job.

My other problem would be that I am not native English speaker so do you think it would be a problem in finding a job after finishing the course?

I have a tiny other issue also..my boyfriend would came with me but he would not intend the class..do you think there is any chance in finding a job for him (any sort of job somewhere in the area..???

So I am looking forward to read your ideas, advices and I do appriciate your help as this is really important to me.

Cheers,

Eszter
cmu

Re: TEFL course in Thailand...???

Unread post by cmu »

Hi,

If you are interested in working in Thailand then I would recommend trying out the Chiang Mai University TEFL. This course is taught on the Chiang Mai University campus and offers certification from the university with the name on the front. It is offered in Chiang Mai which is a lovely town to live in and is by far the most popular course in the city.

Good luck

The CMU TEFL TEAM
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Some university campuses are often as big as small towns, and the properties departments rent out commercial space to third party shops and other service providers, and even rent out their classrooms, and lecture theatres, and research facilities.

Benefitting from the university campus address and without directly making any false claims, some such businesses deliberately allow potential customers to believe that the service is in some way affiliated to the university, or is even part of it. This is particularly true of language and cramming institutes, and to some extent, TESOL course providers.

It is advisable do some background checks on the Internet before finally choosing a course. It is quite possible that a 'university' course may be operated by a franchise group or a stand-alone.
Some course providers claim to be accredited. It is also equally advisable to check on the accrediting organisation. Many franchise chains have been known to set up accrediting organisations to accredit themselves, to misuse endorsements from universities, or to claim that some universities will award degree course credits on the basis of a TEFL certificate. Some accrediting organisations are such obvious scams that they will not fool anyone.

It is extremely difficult to obtain legal employment in Thailand without a degree from a recognised university. A TESOL/TEFL certificate alone is not sufficient. The Thai government is constantly increasing the difficulty for prospective teachers to find jobs by introducing new requirements. Some of these new rules may insist that the degree is in an education or a linguistic subject, or that teachers possess a recognised teaching qualification such as a British PGCE, or a USA or Australian state teacher licence. This particularly affects teachers who already have a job, and have settled in the country and wish to pursue a long term career, when extending their teacher licences and work permits.

All TEFL course providers are aware of these regulations but some do not inform their course candidates.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
Matt K

Unread post by Matt K »

Hi,

The curriculum for the 120 hour TEFL Certificate Program offered at the Language Institute,Chiang Mai University was approved by a full sitting of CMU's board of studies in March 2005. All certificates are signed by the president of the university - as are all CMU certificates, diplomas, and degrees.

The certificate can be used for advanced standing and credit for diplomas and degrees at CMU and the over 140 universities worldwide with which CMU is affiliated.

All the best,

Matt Kay
Director
International Programs
Language Institute
Chiang Mai University
systematic
Top Contributor

jennny1256 wrote:My friend Martin Brodie had great experience with TEFL international in Thailand. I contacted http://www.teflintl.com and they are very professional and can give me the training with course certification that I need for teaching with International acceptance and help to get my a job teaching.
TEFL International already have enough serious reputation problems to contend with. Obvious spam like this will only make matters worse.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
systematic
Top Contributor

Matt K wrote:All certificates are signed by the president of the university - as are all CMU certificates, diplomas, and degrees.
That may be true, but far more serious issues are being discussed on Alex Case's blog on this site.