Have you heard about CITE ?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

marines

Have you heard about CITE ?

Unread post by marines »

I live in Argentina.I'm an EFL teacher. I graduated long time ago from a Teacher Training College. I want to go international and I thought of sitting for some certificate to enhance my cv. I heard about the Certificate for Intenational Teachers of English (Chichester University-England). Do you think it has international recognition ?
Thanks for your help
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Have you heard about CITE ?

Unread post by systematic »

ian_g wrote: As an alternative I can recommend London Teacher Training College too, as one of the better online courses, having both UK and Singapore (Ministry of Education) accreditation.
I am neither a course provider, nor am I a graduate of the LTTC, but I know the course content intimately and can confirm Ian's comments. The LTTC is however sometimes slow at responding to enquiries.

Do note that C.I.T.E. is an exam; there is no set course either in English or in teaching which leads to the C.I.T.E. test. It is offered by a company named Anglia, and as far as I know it is neither part of, nor affiliated with the University of Chichester. The certificates are however in some way issued by an QCA/Ofqual approved UK national awarding body. I too am not aware that Chichester University offers any kind of specific course of preparation for the C.I.T.E. Right again Ian :D

Do not confuse the university with the Chichester College, an independent education organisation in Chichester, or its branch of the same name that provides a TESOL training course in Thailand in collaboration with Spencer Education Ltd.
The college has been awarded significant UK government recognition for further education.
ian_g wrote:Beware of some course providers (one or two post on these forums) who DO NOT even have UK accreditation, yet place themselves here as an authority.
It would probably be apt to distinguish between the course providers who regularly contribute usefull information and those that are just plain spammers touting for business.

That said, UK government agencies and quangos do not generally accredit non UK based course providers. Some course providers claim to meet British Council requirements. That may be so, but they might not actually have anything to do with the British Council.

One reasonably reliable institution is the UK's College of Teachers, but care must be taken to ascertain whether the course provider displaying the CoT crest is genuinely accredited by them, or just a paid up institutional member. Do report any instances of such abuse if you come across them.
Some US based course providers are accredited through their state or national education agencies.

Note also that there is no official worldwide accrediting agency whatsoever, and that many course providers, especially those with large franchise chains, have created 'accrediting' bodies with the sole purpose of accrediting themselves.
Many other independent accrediting agencies exist solely for the purpose of collecting memberships fees. Some provide some kind of expensive inspection, others are nothing more than a list of members and will accept any provider who will pay to be on the list. One or two are easily identifiable as an obvious scam. Hence a question often arises:
Who accredits the accreditors?
Last edited by systematic on 14 Mar 2009, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
systematic
Top Contributor

[deleted by Systematic]
Last edited by systematic on 31 Mar 2009, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
systematic
Top Contributor

[deleted by Systematic]
Last edited by systematic on 31 Mar 2009, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
systematic
Top Contributor

ian_g wrote:Chichester University is a reputable, quality University on the South Coast of England.
I wasnt aware that Chichester ran distance learning courses, but good luck if they do - I would say its a good choice.
As an addendum to my previous post, the course that Chichester University offers is of course the Trinity Cert 130 hour attendance course and the centre is accredited by British Council.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.