For people who want to work in China

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Peter Easton
Top Contributor

For people who want to work in China

Unread post by Peter Easton »

Do the sensible thing and save up enough money so you can live comfortably for two or three months and find work when you arrive. Show that you can stand on your own two feet in a foreign country a survive temporarily without work.

Too many people get it the wrong way round. They secure a job for crap pay in their home country, they don't come with enough cash to put a deposit on an apartment and they have to go cap in hand to their employer for an advance in their first month of work.
I've lost count to the amount of the amount of sorry individuals who ask to borrow money from me or the company because they didn't plan ahead.
Doogs

Re: For people who want to work in China

Unread post by Doogs »

Why not just secure a job before you come here? I can't see the point in spending your own money on coming to live in a place where you know no one, don't speak the language, and have no contacts.

There are hundereds of vacancies in China with reputable companies and schools who will help you get a visa, meet you at the airport/ferry terminal, take you to your rent free apartment, give you a fruit basket and take you out for dinner on your first night.

They have English speaking support staff who will help you acclimatise and you will meet other foriegn teachers straight away, some of whom will know the area, the shops etc. and help you settle in.

By the far the best way to find a job in China is to look at the tefl/esl forums on the internet. the internet is not just available in China, it's global. Landing in China without speaking Chinese, and trying to find a job, while not impossible, is nowhere as easy as looking on the Internet from the comfort of your own home, then getting a job to come over and walk into.

Oh, and did I mention that the schools will reimburse you airfare and visa fees at the end of your contract?
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Gandhi.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

I call that the wimp's option. Real people with hunger and desire to see the world don't see the language barrier, the new country and culture as barriers. They embrace these things.

If you need someone to hold your hand by all means go through an agency but I respect the teacher who is independent and does need to keep asking for help.

It is this naive attitude that creates problems:
hundereds of vacancies in China with reputable companies and schools
who will help you get a visa
meet you at the airport
take you to your rent free apartment
give you a fruit basket
Most people know that reality is never that simple - especially in China. I really think some people have led sheltered lives....

First rule of coming to China: Keep your expectations low - that way you won't be disappointed and when things do turn out nice, it's a pleasant surprise.
Doogs

Unread post by Doogs »

Have you considered therapy for your weird masochistic tendencies? Seriously, the wimps option? Get a life. I have a huge desire to see the world and experience it's culture's and languages first hand, that's why I came to China. That's why I'm committed to staying in China for at least five years, to learn the language and be able to experience the things I wouldn't be able to without a grasp of the language.

You talk as though you have all the answers, that your the daddy of efl teachers and travelers. Your not, your just a self opinionated person who thinks his way of doing things should suit everybody. What the hell does "showing you can stand on your own two feet in a foreign country and survive without work" show anyone, except that your an idiot, over paid westerner who has had it so easy they don't have to get a job like the rest of the world does? What is the point of your post anyway? To prove to the world what a tough guy you are?
Gandhi.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

Seems like you are only able to resort to ad hominems rather than answer any of my points.

Well done :roll:
Doogs

Unread post by Doogs »

None of your points were questions. People as stupidly arrogant as you don't ask questions, you're too afraid of debate.
Gandhi.
Peter Easton
Top Contributor

So assertions cannot be ‘answered’ then?

I think we all know who is scared of debate here….