New to TEFL: Where should I go?

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

whalo79

New to TEFL: Where should I go?

Unread post by whalo79 »

Hi, I am about to embark on a Trinity Cert TESOL course in the UK with the intention of starting work abroad in early January 2009. I have been looking at Eastern Europe (Moscow, Bratislava, Budapest) and Asia (Vietnam, China). I would like to go somewhere that has a good social scene, is fairly cheap to live and would allow me to save a fair bit of cash too if possible. Can anybody recommend anywhere? Or has anybody been to any of the places mentioned above and can offer an insight into them? Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!
princess

Re: New to TEFL: Where should I go?

Unread post by princess »

Hi I have just completed a weekend TEFL course. I am now wondering where to go next. Like you I wish to work abroad. Do you mind sending me any info you receive. I'm not idle but frustrated with all the info that the great net has to offer ' its mind boggeling '. Good luck. Many thanks. princess. :D
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Hi Princess,

It is true that there is a plethora of information on the web about teaching worldwide. Check out the minimum qualifications needed for each country, the salaries and the conditions. often the best job offers are advertised by the schools themselves, but many job ads are by cleverly disguised placement agencies.
Remember that you will need a degree for teaching in most countries, and that most good schools that pay reasonable salaries, will require a TESOL certificate based on a 123 hour, face-to-face course.

Most of the info you need is already on this board - some of it is indeed mind-boggling.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

In Thailand, the average salary for a full-time TESOL teacher is about 35,000 baht (around $1,000, or £700 per month). Any school offering less is a dump. This is more than adequate for living in the country but will not leave much for paying a mortgage back home - most younger teachers run out of funds by the end of the second week because they can't stay away from the night life, take taxis everywhere, or eat in Western restaurants.
Thai teachers generally earn 8,000 baht per month.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
TeacherRussia

Unread post by TeacherRussia »

Go to Russia and stay away from Language Link. :)
Louis Marinelli
Kent State University
B.S. Russian Translation
Kent, OH 44243