Is a degree imperative?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

fishpie

Is a degree imperative?

Unread post by fishpie »

I would like to do the intensive 4 week course and then teach somewhere in South East Asia. Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos. I do not have a degree though and I am 45 years old. (male).
On the plus side I do not need to make much money. Just enough to live really. I just want to experience living in a different culture. I would really appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thank you.

Mark
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Is a degree imperative?

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

In most places the basic requirements for teaching are a degree plus a certificate, however not having a degree does not always prevent one from teaching and there are many teachers working around the world without it.

What often happens is that schools will be looking for teachers to start at the beginning of the school year (often after the Summer) and then again after Christmas (this is when some contract teachers decide to leave and the school is left with an unexpected vacancy). Obviously the schools will go for the most qualified candidates first, but if demand outstrips supply, they will be willing to employ teachers without a degree.

You should note however that often holding a degree is a visa requirement and not so much a school requirement.

China, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia are said to be countries where you can still be employed without a degree.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Is a degree imperative?

Unread post by systematic »

You cannot work in Thailand without a degree. At lease not legally. It is required for:

- Getting a visa
- Getting a Work Permit
- Authorising further visa extensions once the Work Permit has been obtained.
- Enrolling at a Thai university for a education degree course (now required) if your current degree is not in a linguistic or education field.

For rare exceptions to these rules, check out my numerous other posts on this board on this subject. The consequences of being caught teaching illegally are severe. They include an immediate imprisonment for several days followed by rapid deportation - and it does happen.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.