Chances of employment without practical experience?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

helen345

Chances of employment without practical experience?

Unread post by helen345 »

Hello everyone,

I am currently doing on online TEFL course with i to i but obviously this course will not provide me with actual experience of teaching.
I have arranged to do some observations at a reputable language school nearby, but this will only be observation work. Can anyone who has done an online course provide me with any ideas as to how I would go about getting teaching experience? I am starting to worry that this course will be a waste of time and money if I cannot get hired due to no practical experience.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Chances of employment without practical experience?

Unread post by systematic »

You could try offering your services free, or teaching alongside other teachers. When you have accumulated at least 6 hours, get the school to give you a letter confirming you experience.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
tonyclarey

Unread post by tonyclarey »

Hi
Voluntary work is always a good way to get started.
I have offered my services to the Refugee Council here in Norwich,who have over 100 Congolese & Ethiopian refugees of all ages on their books.Did it for 4 months once a week,but there was very little response.
Spent 2 months in Nepal;an organisation called HELP(himalayan education lifeline programme could place you in Bengal,Assam,Nepal or Sikkim.
What started me on teaching was getting involved with a school/orphanage called Niranjana Public Welfare School at Bodhgaya,Bihar.They would certainly be interested.
Tony Clarey
Percussive

Unread post by Percussive »

Some private schools, like Berlitz, will train you in their system even if you don't have experience. In fact, they prefer it sometimes over people who are used to doing their own thing.

I have experience but have been looking for jobs(Dave's ESL Cafe) in Korea and ran across many jobs that didn't require experience. The pay and benefits will be lower for the first year, but after that you shouldn't have any problems.

Whether these places that don't require experience are reputable is in question, but worth doing research about.
Good Luck
G (Percussive)