How to find resources

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Sauveterre

How to find resources

Unread post by Sauveterre »

Hello, I teach a weekly course for 1 1/2 hours in our very small French village. I have 12 students, only one of whom wants to learn to benefit his business - he has a fruit & veg. stall at various markets where he has English speaking customers. For the others it is mainly for holidays. I have given them the Cambridge placement test which I downloaded from the CUP website and they are all elementry with reading and writing grammer, some further on than others. Some can speak very well, but mix up grammer & syntax and have limited vocabulary. So far I've been using Harraps grammer and vocabulary books, but I would like something more structured. I've searched the CUP and OUP websites and they both have lots of good course books, but they all seem to have multi roms which have to be used with them. The only resourses I have are a simple whiteboard and my own CD player, although I'm going to get a docking station for my i pod so if I can download anything from i tunes I can play it to them.
Can you suggest any books or courses I could use?
Thank you.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: How to find resources

Unread post by Lucy »

Hello,

I suggest you have a look at New English File published by Oxford. This course book works on areas of language (grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation) as well as skills work (reading, writing, listening, speaking).

I'm surprised about what you say about multi-roms. I'm sure it's possible to buy CD's for use in the classroom. You could check this out on the internet or in a local bookshop.

Lucy