Where to begin? HELP!

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Susan

Registered Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 11:16

Where to begin? HELP!

Unread postby Kamen1102 » 01 Jan 2009, 11:31

Hi, Im in need of some really good advice from people who have already been through the agonising process of researching suitable courses and accreditation.I've just recently graduated from university having done a 3 year Psychology degree. I am very keen on teaching English in Hongkong, specifically young children/teenagers. However I have no idea where to start, I've had a look through this forum which has lots and lots of vital and helpful information, but can someone confirm what is the best course to do in order to be fully qualified to teach abroad and invite most offers from employees? Whats the difference between celta and tefl? how and where do I go to search for an accredited organization and how can I tell its validity? any help will be very much appreciated.


User avatar
Posts: 656
Joined: 13 Jan 2004, 16:09
Status: Teacher Trainer
Location: France

Re: Where to begin? HELP!

Unread postby Lucy » 04 Jan 2009, 11:31

Dear Kamen,

I understand where you're coming from: all the info about TEFL can be very difficult to digest at the beginning. Believe me, you are far more focused than many people who are starting out. You have already decided which place you would like to work in and have narrowed down your choice to 2 groups, teenagers and children.

The fact that you are focused on one place and 2 age groups will make things easier: you can start looking at job ads in Hong Kong and see which qualifications are mentioned. However, you should treat what you find there as a guide not as a definite rule when choosing your course. Remember that the course will serve you for the rest of your TEFL career, you might not want to work in Hong Kong for ever.

The two courses that are most-widely known are: the CELTA and the Trinity certificate. The fact that they are the best known means that employers recognise immediately what they are dealing with. This obviously has advantages when applying for work but it doesn't mean that they are the only valid qualifications. As for accredited organisations, you can check with the British Council.

As for the difference between TEFL and CELTA, that's very easy. One is a qualification and the other is a subject. TEFL means teaching English as a foreign language. It is a subject that teachers study or an area that teachers work in. CELTA is the certificate in English Language Teaching for Adults. This is a qualification.

Please write in again if you have any other questions.


Return to “TEFL Help Desk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests