Realistic TEFl training and career advise please....

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

gorilllla

Realistic TEFl training and career advise please....

Unread post by gorilllla »

Hello. I have been looking into teaching English overseas and the relevant qualifications etc. My main concern is that I do not have a degree(I'm 28 and have no plans to start a degree anytime soon).

Am I right in thinking this will not stop me from obtaining a Trinity Cert TESOL or CELTA? More importantly, is this seriously going to hamper my chances of finding work even if I have a TESOL or CELTA and I am a native speaker(British)? I know some countries will ONLY allow TEFL teachers with degrees but would I have enough opportunity elsewhere to build up experience overseas which would hopefully become impressive enough for more and more employers to take me on? It should also be said that I am not exactly fussy about where I go to teach and would be willing to stay for whole terms or years at a time.

Any advise would be hugely appreciated.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Realistic TEFl training and career advise please....

Unread post by Alex Case »

I just answered a very similar question on Yahoo Answers, although being an EU citizen will make things a bit easier for you than for Americans:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid= ... 426AAc3SR4
gorilllla

Re: Realistic TEFl training and career advise please....

Unread post by gorilllla »

Hi Alex. I just read your reply on Yahoo, thanks for the pointer.

From everything I've read so far it seems that teaching English abroad without a degree is harder to get into but not impossible. I still think the preference for teachers with degrees is a little odd seeing as this doesn't really have any bearing on how good a teacher they may be.

Thanks again.