I'm desperate and i need help FAST!!!!

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

Shelley

I'm desperate and i need help FAST!!!!

Unread post by Shelley »

Hi, I need help and FAST!

I have just received my first teaching assignment after passing my TEFL on a correspondance course, and i don't know where to start.

I am to teach for 14 hours, split over 3 sessions, one individual at a beginner level.

I have the criteria that he needs to cover (it is within an enterprise preparing for the winter season in the French Alpes) but i have no idea how to actually present the topics.

I have found plenty of exercises, but obviously i need to teach the vocabulary and grammar etc.. before i can do the exercises with him.

Can you give me any ideas? The topics are Pronouns, adjectives, question tags, present simple and progressive.

Thank you in advance!
jeffrey

Re: I'm desperate and i need help FAST!!!!

Unread post by jeffrey »

I would say the first step would be to purchase a dictionary and make frequent use of spellcheckers. The word is correspondence not correspondance. Good luck on your tefl career and remember that students always remember what you write on the board so be careful with spelling!
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: I'm desperate and i need help FAST!!!!

Unread post by systematic »

It is indeed surprising that these aspects were not adequately covered in a TEFL course. IMHO, more reason to be careful when selecting one, and possibly to opt for a proper face-to-face course.
For your urgent needs, I would suggest searching the websites of leading publishers of texbooks, e.g. Longman, Macmillan, CUP, OUP, etc. they have extensive online aids for teachers and free downloadable material to print and use. Their sites usually have a search box to gain rapid access to the kind of things you need. Also the pages of the main TEFL.net site here are crammed with useful information in the resources section. Check out the link in the nav bar above.

You could also purchase a copy of Essential Grammar in Use - the English teachers' grammar bible - by Raymond Murphy, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-55928-6. It will be your best friend until it falls apart from use :D
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.