I need help!

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

seralline

I need help!

Unread post by seralline »

Hello! I'm a new English language teacher fresh out of a certificate course, and I landed my first job right away in a tutoring environment. I don't know how I can teach two boys (10 and 13 years old) for four hours every day. HOW DO YOU DO IT?? I'm afraid of burning out every day after like, two hours. I was trained to teach classes with strict patterns involving discussions among classmates, and I don't know how to handle a 1-to-2 class every day for four hours straight.

Also, should I separate the boys according to their proficiency? Or teach them together? I need advice from teachers!

Thanks a lot!
SunShine
Rising Star

Re: I need help!

Unread post by SunShine »

Hi,

First, you need to check their levels. No point in teaching them together if they are on different levels. One of them will get bored and may start to disrupt your class. I find one to one teaching a lot more rewarding than a class. You can tailor your class and change it if necessary.
language_lover

Unread post by language_lover »

I have something that may be useful to you.

This website has thousands and thousands of really good resources for children - http://maryglasgowmagazines.com/teachers

The resources from there could keep your children occupied for hours.

I would say, if you can, teach them together, it'll help you make things a lot more interesting.
Professor Snape

Unread post by Professor Snape »

Is it actually within your remit to separate the boys? If the parents are paying for four hours tuition for each of them, that is exactly what each of them is entitled to. If you were to split them up, and still wanted to honour your contractual obligations, you would be doubling your workload to eight hours a day.

That said, I find individual coaching to be approximately twice as effective as group classes.

Regarding burnout, I would suggest dividing your four hour session into two 2h sessions with a half hour break in between.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

seralline wrote:I don't know how I can teach two boys (10 and 13 years old) for four hours every day.
A cleverly designed lesson plan is the key: it should start with a warmer where language level is irrelevant, followed by alternative phases of quiet individual work for each student at appropriate levels, and more noisy activities again.
It is important to maintain relevant and smooth transitions from each activity to the next.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.