Advice needed for newbies teaching in Spain...

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

KnightyKnight

Advice needed for newbies teaching in Spain...

Unread post by KnightyKnight »

Hi...

I wondered if I could get some advice please! I am planning on moving to Spain for a few months, starting in March, as thats the soonest I can afford to leave the UK. I'll be coming with a friend and by then we will have both completed our 100 hour TEFL dioplomas.

We have read plenty about Madrid and found the reports to indicate that teaching there is often a struggle. We don't want to teach in Barcelona. Sevilla seems like a good option for us as fun loving 30 year olds who want to experience a bit of the Spanish culture while not financially crippling ourselves and gaining some valuable teaching experience to get us started teaching around the world. We were planning on initially coming for 3 months, from March to June, but are not sure how realistic this would be for two beginners with no experience, and only the one of us having a degree.

Basically we would like to know how realistic our expectations are, how financially viable it is to work in Sevilla at the moment - we want to be able to afford to live a little and experience the culture while we're there, but won't be bringing any major savings along! We want to stick together as much as possible, although if we're not likely to find work in the same school its not an issue as long as we're nearby. We need somewhere that has decent nightlife and lots going on, and are open minded about where we head to.

Any advice, bearing in mind these circumstances, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Caroline
Living Languages

Re: Advice needed for newbies teaching in Spain...

Unread post by Living Languages »

Hey KK,

I don't know much about Sevilla but I do know about Madrid and Barcelona. I have been living in Madrid for 5 years now and on both sides of the teaching business. I can tell you that there is a lot of demand for English teachers in Madrid, you should not have any problem finding work here. You can expect to work around 20 hours per week and make between 100 and 1200€. From what I have heard, work in Barcelona can be hard to come by.

The link below is for my school in Madrid. If I can be of any more help just let me know.

http://livinglanguages.net/english-teac ... adrid.html

http://livinglanguages.net
SunShine
Rising Star

Re: Advice needed for newbies teaching in Spain...

Unread post by SunShine »

What about Alicanate, what is the job market like over there?