How do I deal with a special child in my elementary class ?

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

Liz

How do I deal with a special child in my elementary class ?

Unread post by Liz »

Hi ! I am an EFL teacher in Indonesia and one of the groups I am teaching at present is an 11-12 age group. There are only 12 children there,however I have a hard time in dealing with one of them who is a terribly slow learner. She is a stutterer and falls behind in her study. The other children don't want to be her friends because of her habits of shouting in the class and calling for constant attention. Most of the time she can't stay focused and has very poor handwriting. Once I asked her to write well and to my surprise, she did it ! However it doesn't last long.
The problem is I don't know what to do in the class. I don't want to ignore her but at the same time I want my class to run well. What must I do in this situation ? How do I make the other children accept her as a part of the group ( which is what she wants the most ) ?
Regards,
Liz
mousami

Re: How do I deal with a special child in my elementary class ?

Unread post by mousami »

this is a very common problem but it is not found with all children.this should be handled well to make her good in her studies.first of all teach her to make a better hand writing than what she have now by making her to write in between two parallel lines.encourage and applause her for this improvement.this finally leads to her good hand writing.then she will be interested in her teacher and will obey the classes and will show a disciplined behaviour
-----------
bhuvana

Job Openings
Liz

Unread post by Liz »

Hi Mousami,
Thank you for the reply. I'm a novice at teaching primary students and I really appreciate your suggestion.
I shall tell you the result. It's a promise !
Take care,
Liz
Liz

Unread post by Liz »

Hi Mousami,
Good news !! It works :D Her handwriting is much better now and she becomes a better pupil.
I set up several writing contests in the classroom and she was eager to participate ( to "show off" her "new handwriting"). Now she is my personal assistant in the class. She helps me do simple things and she does it responsibly. Hopefully she will get better and better in the upcoming days.
Thank you so much,Mousami.
GBU,
Liz