TEFL training in China

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

onebir

TEFL training in China

Unread post by onebir »

Hello - I recently signed up for a contract teaching at a university in China, based on my "foreign expert" status (ie a totally irrelevant masters degree). Term hasn't started yet, but the small amount of part-time teaching at a private school I've been doing this summer suggests to me that I should get myself some training. Better late than never! :)

There seems to be a fair bit of information around on EFL teacher training in SE Asia, but much less about China. Does anyone happen to know what the main options are in China? (Esp outside Beijing & Shanghai, which I'd steer clear of if possible...)
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL training in China

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

It sounds like you are after an in-house training course. Have you asked the University where you will be working? They might have some leads. Alternatively you should consider online training.

Online courses allow you to correspond with qualified teacher trainers from wherever you are in the world. Even if you are in a remote area of the planet, as long as you have an Internet connection you can have access to top teacher trainers and benefit from their knowledge and experience. Training online is also a good option if you have a limited budget to further your studies or if you have other work commitments that restrict the amount of time you have available to study. You can find good online courses that provide quality training and allow you to work at your own pace. Having no deadlines but those which you set for yourself is a great advantage. Working on a course with a flexible schedule where your personal tutor can be contacted 24/7 or your coursework can be submitted whenever ready has allowed many of our students – teachers to complete successfully their TESL/TEFL Certificate course, further their knowledge and gain better prospects of employment.

Good luck
onebir

Unread post by onebir »

It sounds like you are after an in-house training course.
Yep, if possible. I don't think online would work too well for me - too many distractions. But thanks for the suggestion Pete.

Has anyone looked into the in-house training options available in (/near) China?
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Try this, I have heard they have opened some attendance courses in a couple of cities in China.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
onebir

Unread post by onebir »

Try this, I have heard they have opened some attendance courses in a couple of cities in China.
Thanks, they have. But they also seem to be subject to some very bad press... Whether this is justified or not I'm not sure, but it is quite offputting.