Online Training?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

diamond dave

Online Training?

Unread post by diamond dave »

Need some advice here. I would like to obtain a TEFL certificate, but cannot take off four weeks to do so (also, I've been curious if the time, effort, and monetary costs of on-site programs really pay off in the end). Are there any online courses that are recognized or would it be better just to save my money rather than waste it on an online course - keeping in mind that this may be the only way for me to obtain any kind of TEFL training? I do have a Master's in Speech Communication from the U.S. - will that better qualify me in the EFL world?
Sekhmet

Unread post by Sekhmet »

I would be very wary of taking online courses. You didn't mention whether you had any experience in teaching, so I will assume for the moment you do not. Therefore, how will you know you will like teaching if you have not tried it?? Online courses, without a practicum are mostly pointless. Despite indepth information on methodology, no one can tell if these ideas will work until you have tried them in the classroom. If there is any way that you can do an on-site course with teaching practice (including part time, long term courses), I would do it.
Good luck!!
HenryTeach

Unread post by HenryTeach »

Not all online courses are bad; they are for a certain type of new teacher wanting to get their feet wet in the industry without having to spend 1000's of dollars on a course after which they may decide they don't want anything to do with teaching.

They will help secure work in certain countries. Check with the school first though.