I'm new and need help!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

craige

I'm new and need help!

Unread post by craige »

Hello everyone! I've been looking through the website and I have to say it seems like a lovely community you have here - I'm glad to be a part of it. I am, however, new, so you'll have to excuse me if I sound a bit naive!

Perhaps someone on this board could help me. Myself and my girlfriend are thinking about teaching English in South Korea for a year, or possibly Japan. I have just attained a first class honours degree in Journalism and she has a first class honours degree in Mathematics, as well as a masters and a PhD. We're at the stage of our lives where we feel we want to try a bit of adventure before we properly settle down - I'm 25 and she's 27. We also heard it was a good opportunity to put a bit of money away, which we would use as a deposit on a house when we returned.

My girlfriend is currently working and is in a well paid, stable job. I am unemployed having just graduated, but have a few job offers on the table - so really we're looking to move quite quickly, but my girlfriend has the trickier decision to make of the two of us.

So, my questions:

1. Is it worth it? (from a self-development, broadening horizons perspective)
2. Will we be able to put much money away for savings?
3. Will our pay reflect our qualifications? (This isn't massively important)
4. Do we need to do a TEFL course, or would you recommend we go on the qualifications we have? If so, what's the cheapest good qualification to get?

I think that's everything! Replies would be most welcome and thanks for having me!

Craig.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: I'm new and need help!

Unread post by systematic »

There are some very Korea specific, dedicated forums where you will probably find most most of the questions ether already answered or currently under discussion. Do you know how to use a search engine? There's one called Google, but there are a lot of others too. Try using search keywords like Korea TESOL TEFL forum, not only will the result list the forums, it will also list all postings on the subject. Give it a try.

If you want to earn very good money as teachers abroad in Asia, you could also try Japan and Taiwan.

Probably more has been written on the subject of TESOL certification than any other EFL topic. You will find information on this very web board and many, many others. Use Google again to find out more and do heed all the warnings.
Your choice will hinge between on-line/distance courses and proper courses. On-line courses will provide a very good understanding of theory. Face-2-face courses will provide the role play and practice which is needed to become a really good performer. Mos better paying schools will want to see a TESOL certificate and 120 hour courses are the most readily accepted.

More very valuable general information on TESOL training is also on this external TESOL forum.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

TESL in Korea is a booming industry right now and teaching opportunities abound both in the private and public sector. There is an interesting article on teaching in Korea - and how to go about it, in the ICAL Wiki at http://www.icalweb.com/wiki/index.php?title=Korea

You will need a TESL/TEFL Certificate to add to your degree as this is a requirement that keeps coming up over and over in almost every job ad. Being certified will certainly make you more marketable and, perhaps more importantly, it will prepare you for the job.

Online courses offer a great training opportunity at entry level and a study option worth looking into particularly if you have a limited budget to further your studies or if you have other work and/or family commitments that restrict the amount of time you have available to study.
jasminade
Rising Star

Unread post by jasminade »

1. Is it worth it? (from a self-development, broadening horizons perspective) Definitely

2. Will we be able to put much money away for savings? Yes you cannot spend what you earn

3. Will our pay reflect our qualifications? (This isn't massively important) No

4. Do we need to do a TEFL course, or would you recommend we go on the qualifications we have? If so, what's the cheapest good qualification to get? No, it helps, but most countries require a degree which you have!

Good luck!