ESL in the UK

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

kymii

ESL in the UK

Unread post by kymii »

Hi,
I've just finished my first year at university and I want to persue a career in TEFL/ESL. I've done research into the courses etc and I've helped informally teach a Thai girl who I knew through a previous job. I was wondering is it possible to have a career in TEFL in England through FE courses etc?

Thanks!
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: ESL in the UK

Unread post by systematic »

Hi Kymii,

Job yes, but to make a career of it would be a bit optimistic. A TEF/TESOL certificate will get you a job in the language schools that are the traditional employers of TEFLers, but with salaries around £7 - £11 per hour, to have gone to college and obtained a degree would have been rather a waste of time. There are very few prospects of promotion bteween teacher and school owner/administrator. If you are serious about a career in teaching in the UK, probably the best thing to do would be to get a PGCE and seek work as an English teacher in mainstream education.
This does not mean that a TEFL course would be wasted - as a taster, it might help you decided if you really want to invest more to becoming a career teacher.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.