Top Ten TEFL resources

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Lizzybet

Top Ten TEFL resources

Unread post by Lizzybet »

Hi

I have been teaching English for almost two years now and would like to improve my stock of resources on my next trip to the UK. Can anyone recommend the best books/resources that they can't live without? I use Murphy's grammar and most of the schools i teach in have their own coursebooks, but i feel i could do with some more references stuff, teacher training and general activities including explaining and helping my students with pronunciation. I teach all ages so some material which is adaptable would be great.

Thanks
Elisabetta
Rina

Re: Top Ten TEFL resources

Unread post by Rina »

Hi Elisabetta
I've been teaching English for five years. All ages.
From 6 to 8 years old I use "Little Bugs" 1+2 . From 9 to 12 years "Big Bugs" 1,2,3 and 4.
From 12 or 13 to about 15 or 16 years old "Ispiration" also 4 books 1-4.The publisher of all is Macmillan, UK.
A good course boook for adluts and teenages is "New English File" . Publisher: Oxford University Press.
You can find sample page there:

www.macmillanenglish.com
www.oup.com/elt

Rina
Lizzybet

Unread post by Lizzybet »

Thanks Rina

Do you have any suggestions for additional resource books, you know 5 minute activities, warmers and finishers for example. I also struggle a bit with pronunciation and absolute beginners (adults) who want explanations as to why we pronounce the same letters in different ways?.
I was also looking for something which would help improve my teaching skills, i am a lone teacher and so have no-one to bounce ideas off. I have read that Jim Scrivener's Learning Teaching is good.

Elisabetta
Rina

Unread post by Rina »

Hi Elisabetta

Yes there is book with 5 minute activities. Actually its titel is "Five-Minute Activities" . A recource book of short acrivities . Publisher: Cambridge University Press. ISBN: 9780521397810
I work with it and it helps me a lot. It can be used for diffrent levels. I paid 22,50 € but you can have look on ebay!
I have the one for adults but there is another one for young learners, which don't know.
I never explain why a letter is pronounced in diffrent ways! Tell them it is like it is!
Have a look at:
www.cambridge.org
Rina