Money Question

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

lizzers

Money Question

Unread post by lizzers »

I am currently researching TEFL certification courses and would ultimately like to teach in Mexico or another Latin American country. I plan on doing either a CELTA course or a similar 120+ hour course in addition to my current volunteer work as a tutor for ESL students in my hometown before applying for jobs.

Like most recent college grads, I am saddled with a substantial student loan debt, as well as some credit card debt. I would like to find out if it is reasonable to expect to find a job in my chosen region that will allow me to live comfortably while also paying $400-500 USD per month toward my debts.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
-Liz
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Money Question

Unread post by systematic »

Just be aware that most TESOL jobs will not even pay that much per month. Even CELTA qualified Brits in their own country which has one of the highest costs of living in the world only get £7.50 - £11.00 per hour ($15 - 22), and the maximum number of actual teaching hours one can sensibly cope with is 22 - 24. Do the math :)

You'll need to go further afield to get the kind of money you need and the choice is limited: Japan, Taiwan, and S. Korea. Fortunately you are a graduate which is absolutely essential to getting any reasonably paid work. One solution is to get some university work. The salaries are low, but so is the work load, but you'll pick up plenty of private tutorials at anything up to $30 per hour.

Do be careful and be aware of TESOL course scams
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.