SITES TO FIND JOBS

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

margyf
Rising Star

SITES TO FIND JOBS

Unread post by margyf »

Hi

I have just done a tefl course through i-to-i and am only looking to work in the UK.

I have been fortunate to have done some work with this qualification but am finding that a lot of the employers are looking for us to have Trinity or CELTA.

I was wondering the best sites to look at that arent too fussed about the above but instead see its a valid qualificaton and see ive had some teaching practice in.

I am considering doing the TRINITY but the next course I want to do is in October which is ok but I will miss out on all the summer jobs. All because I dont have the above!!!!

Any help would be appreciated
Emma1310

Re: SITES TO FIND JOBS

Unread post by Emma1310 »

try tefl.com

They have a lot of summer school jobs in UK and not all of them require Trinity/CELTA

also try eslemployment.com

But there are a lot of websites out there, just google something like 'esl jobs'
margyf
Rising Star

Unread post by margyf »

Thats great thanks
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

margyf wrote:I was wondering the best sites to look at that arent too fussed...
There is now a plethora of TEFL job sites, so many in fact that many schools and employers are now beginning to seek alternative channels for recruiting their teachers.

Why?
- Often the sites charge disproportionately high fees for the jobs ads.
- Busy recruiters don't have time to sift through the teacher CVs.
- Teachers rarely follow the instructions in the job ads correctly and therefore by displaying their ignorance, they don't get hired :mrgreen:

Other problems which job seekers are faced with are those of choosing a TESOL course. The prices charged for some on-line courses is scandalous when compared to the operational costs (sometimes not more than £6 a month for the hosting of ther web site, and the part-time salary for a one-man-show). They are often not much cheaper than a real, face-to-face course., which is now demanded by the schools offering the better paid jobs. Read more about
TESOL course scams

Thus, it is not job sites which are less demanding in qualifications, but the schools that advertise. Probably the sites to look at are the ones that charge the most for advertising, they will be the ones that should have the money to offer decent salaries. - but see my comments above.

The majority of TESOL teachers
are looking for opportunities to teach abroad - which reflects the focus of most of the EFL job sites. My advice is to use the power of Google and use such search words as EFL, TESOL, TEFL, teaching, job, jobs, UK , and do some systematic researching.
You could start here though at one of the UK's most popular sites:
http://jobs.tes.co.uk/home.aspx

But do by all means read the extremely valuable advice given here: Ten Tips for getting a good TESOL teaching job
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
margyf
Rising Star

Unread post by margyf »

Hi

Thank you so much for your help.

Greatly appreciated

:D