Online Tefl

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

christine

Online Tefl

Unread post by christine »

Hello!!

I am just wondering if any kind soul has any advice to offer on online Tefl courses? I was looking at the 1 to 1 one. I have read alot of information recently. and I really am confused by it all! whats accreditted whats not, how it works!!At the moment I am living in Italy, and have been applying to schools for Teching English, they all have such different requirements. I was wondering if there is a general consensus on the value of an online course, as i dont want to spend the money uneccesarily, I would prefer to manage without, and wait til I can pay for a full course.

Many thanks

Christine
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Online Tefl

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

HI there.

I can see how it can all be a bit overwhelming if you are new to it. The bottom line is that unfortunately there is no independent accrediting body for international TESL courses. Therefore no online provider can claim to have independent international accreditation. Effectively this means that accreditation comes from good practice, professional standards and reputation.

There are many good schools in Italy that will happily accept TEFL Certificates issued by reputable online organizations but it is also true that rrequirements vary from school to school. It often comes down to how the TEFL provider is perceived by the individual employer. So if you are concerned about the qualifications you will need, then the only sure way to find out is to talk to the school(s) where you'd like to work. They will have their own preferences. The fact that you are already on the spot should give you a net advantage.

As to the value of online Certificate courses, I've been in the business of online training for over 9 years now and have seen a dramatic change in attitude towards online Certification. More and more schools around the world recognize the value of online certificates issued by professional organizations and employers no longer discriminate between Certificates obtained through traditional institutes and those online. Just be careful who you choose as your course provider (and this applies whether they are online or not) and make sure what they offer is of good standard.

Hope this helps
PecosBill

Unread post by PecosBill »

Is actual teaching experience a substitute for hands-on training?
[Year and a half full-time, secondary level, multi-subject California Teaching Credential with a BA degree in business administration]

Thanks
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

>>>Is actual teaching experience a substitute for hands-on training?

Yes, it is!

Having teaching experience in the subject counts, particularly if you can back it up with a good recommendation from your previous employer.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Experience - with verifiable references - is a totally acceptable qualification and a responsible employer will give it preference over any TESOL certificate gained exclusively on line. Contrary to the belief disseminated in the adverts for TESOL courses, TESOL certifications of any kind are still a long way off being an indispensable requirement for a teaching job.