Is there an age cut-off in Japan?

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Zimmerman

Is there an age cut-off in Japan?

Unread post by Zimmerman »

Hi. I've asked a similar question before on this board and have gotten an edifying response regarding S. Korea. However, I'm wondering more and more about Japan.
Actually, here is my scenario: I have a Bachelor's in English Literature, a Masters in Library and Information Science and am only a few credits away from earning a Masters in English Literature. I am a 33 year old American male. Is there a cut-off age for teaching in Japan? Is there a market for me in Japan? If not, can anyone suggest where I can go? I'm trying to do the research myself but it's difficult finding the proper info. I'm considering Japan because it seems that S. Korea is not very American friendly, and it doesn't appear like there is much to do in China. Also, what happens when a TEFL teacher gets older? Not to say that I would definitely want to spend the rest of my life doing this, but if I liked it, would they force me to quit when I hit 36 or 40 or some other age, despite the experience I would have by then? Of course, being a male is another factor to be considered. Can anyone help me with these questions? I would be grateful.
jasminade
Rising Star

Re: Is there an age cut-off in Japan?

Unread post by jasminade »

Zimmerman wrote:Hi. I've asked a similar question before on this board and have gotten an edifying response regarding S. Korea. However, I'm wondering more and more about Japan.
Actually, here is my scenario: I have a Bachelor's in English Literature, a Masters in Library and Information Science and am only a few credits away from earning a Masters in English Literature. I am a 33 year old American male. Is there a cut-off age for teaching in Japan? Is there a market for me in Japan? If not, can anyone suggest where I can go? I'm trying to do the research myself but it's difficult finding the proper info. I'm considering Japan because it seems that S. Korea is not very American friendly, and it doesn't appear like there is much to do in China. Also, what happens when a TEFL teacher gets older? Not to say that I would definitely want to spend the rest of my life doing this, but if I liked it, would they force me to quit when I hit 36 or 40 or some other age, despite the experience I would have by then? Of course, being a male is another factor to be considered. Can anyone help me with these questions? I would be grateful.
Not a problem here in China. Anyways, you can teach teachers in your later years?

You would be surprised at how much respected and loved the Americans are in China!
Zimmerman

Re: Is there an age cut-off in Japan?

Unread post by Zimmerman »

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Thank you for the response and I will look into China. It sounds like there are a lot of friendly people there.