Should I do a TEFL certificate?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

michellebenson

Should I do a TEFL certificate?

Unread post by michellebenson »

Dear Lucy,
I am new to this site and am currently researching the benefit of studying for a TEFL certificate.
I have been teaching English for 4 years now without qualifications but with great success. I teach varied levels to adults and children, for personal benefit but also preparation for PET and Trinity exams.
I am at a bit of a loss as to whether I should just carry on as I am doing, or seek to improve my qualifications.
Thanks for your advice
Micelle
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL certificate

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Michelle,

The answer to your question is that it depends very much on what you hope to do in the future. If you want promotion of some sort, e.g. to teacher trainer or a director of studies post, or if you want to change school or country then it’s a good idea to do a certificate course. Even if your aim is to make this sort of move in a few years’ time, it is advisable to do it as soon as possible. Some posts require a certificate in TEFL and 2 years post-cert teaching.

If you are happy in your teaching situation, it is not essential to study further. If your reason for studying is purely to learn something new, you could just read some of the recommended books for certificate courses. However, if you decide to do a certificate, you will definitely learn something new or be reminded of something you haven’t done for a while. No matter how long you’ve been teaching, I’m sure you will learn something on the course.

I hope I’ve answered your question; maybe I’ve asked more questions than I have answered!

Lucy
michellebenson

Re: Should I do a TEFL certificate?

Unread post by michellebenson »

Thanks for your advice. Can you recommend a course book that I could start with?
Michelle
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Should I do a TEFL certificate?

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Michelle,

Two good books to start with are Learning Teaching by Jim Scrivener and The Practice of English Language Teaching by Jeremy Harmer. They both give an excellent overview of teaching.

Best wishes,

Lucy