Teaching Beginners who can only just read English alphabet

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

wildfk

Teaching Beginners who can only just read English alphabet

Unread post by wildfk »

Here in Thailand I have a perennial problem with my staff starting at the bottom as it were.
We have yet to find a suitable text book/course for adults in industry/commerce who want to learn English right from basics.
i need to tackle phonetics/spelling and pronunciation etc in a way that they don't feel like they are using their kids primary school books.......

can anyone suggest something?
G'day
wildfk

Re: Teaching Beginners who can only just read English alphabet

Unread post by wildfk »

Thanks for all the help, in view of the overwhelming response, it might be some time before I get round to thanking you all in person. :roll:
G'day
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

I guess it just means that our members don't have expertise in that particular field.

Susan
tashttmadrid

Unread post by tashttmadrid »

Hello. Sorry for the lack of response. It is unusual to get real beginners these days. Most tend to be false beginners in that they have done a least a little bit at school. I had a similar situation a few years ago with some 60 year old plus students. They just kept saying 'David Beckham' and then smiling at me! I made a lot of my own material but used New Headway Beginner as my core text. I used most of the activities, but some went a little quickly so I am supplementary material to add to it. It has a great work book for you to give them as homework and it is for adults and not children. Would really recommend it.

I also had to become much larger than life in the classroom with lots of acting (as did they). It was probably the most rewarding group I have ever had.

Hope this helps and good luck
wildfk

Unread post by wildfk »

Thanks...I've been looking for a core text....i'll check out your suggestion....as you say most are for false beginners or babies neither of which work in the industrial environment I'm in.
Last edited by wildfk on 11 Apr 2008, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
G'day
Emma1310

Unread post by Emma1310 »

I've been teaching similar beginners.

We've used Cutting Edge Starter and New Headway Beginner books but find we have to adapt a lot of the activities and make them simpler. There was just too much text for the students to cope with.

I'm sure you know things like typing out the exercises from the book so you can make the text bigger. We also had some of the students in for extra handwriting classes.

Don't be afraid to use realia and games. Adults enjoy fun activities as much as children. They can also be very competitive which can be used to your advantage.